AAJ Rear brakes on a Forward Look car, who's done it?

samdjr74

Hi all,

After taking a hard look at my rear brake situation, I don't want to throw any money into the original drums. I have Roger's front brakes on the car and they work fine, now I'm looking at the rear setup. I'm wondering if anyone has done this on a FL car or is the more practical upgrade a rear end swap? My rear is fine, it just that the brakes suck :) And my parking brake on the tranny still orks fine, it just needs to be tweaked. So I don't "need" to get something with an e-brake built into it.

Thanks,

Sam

I did the AAJ rear discs on my 52. Pretty straight forward install, they work fine. Unfortunately my axle is tweaked and I will be installing a late model to replace the original. Eventually I will sell my set up from the 52 if you are interested. The only thing that would be different is the DOM spacer length for your application. adapter plate rotors, calipers hoses etc are the same.

1 minute ago, Dartgame said:

I did the AAJ rear discs on my 52. Pretty straight forward install, they work fine. Unfortunately my axle is tweaked and I will be installing a late model to replace the original. Eventually I will sell my set up from the 52 if you are interested. The only thing that would be different is the DOM spacer length for your application. adapter plate rotors, calipers hoses etc are the same.

Thanks for the info. Did you need to do any machining or was it relatively bolt on? Also, are you running manual or power brakes? I still have manual and wanted to see if I really need to go power or if manual is fine.

I used rogers master cyl. brake adapter bracket which sits under the floor - manual brakes. I used a remote tandem master cyl from master power brakes. Works fine. I'm using the trans mounted parking brake. No machining needed, just some butchering with a cut off wheel for the outer axle bearing retainer. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dartgame said:

I used rogers master cyl. brake adapter bracket which sits under the floor - manual brakes. I used a remote tandem master cyl from master power brakes. Works fine. I'm using the trans mounted parking brake. No machining needed, just some butchering with a cut off wheel for the outer axle bearing retainer. 

Great, thanks for the info. I'd take you up on your offer but I need new brakes sooner then later :) I'll give Roger a call this week to place the order.

Just now, casper50 said:

yes.  had both sides on in less than 90 minutes.

That's awesome. I know we're not comparing apples to apples as my car is 11 years newer then yours but hopefully the process will be similar. I know the fronts went on pretty quickly. I had more issues with rerouting the brake lines then installing the kit.

I cannot speak to AAJ rear disc brakes. However, several companies that make disc brake conversions specifically avoid rear conversions on cars with tapered hubs.  Why? I was told that they had too many problems with them. The issue is that the disc in many instances does not sit exactly perpendicular to the center line of the axle shaft. With a drum brake, this is not much of an issue as if the drum moves a 1/6" to 1/8" the drum face has enough room to deal with that via-vie the brake shoe.

With a disc if it is off at all one will get a pulse on the pedal.

In my case on the '49, I built my own set up using some parts from one companies kit and some I custom made on a jet cutter.

The one thing I did do was to take my axles and hubs to my general machinist who has a big ass lathe. I mounted the hubs on the axles, with keys and all. He them placed the axle-hub in the lathe and turned the fact of the hub so it was perfect. 

In the end we ended up with a matched set of axles, hubs and keyways. I even stamped the keys with in and out side and side 1 to 4 to make sure it went back the same way.

The rear works fine. If you are going to do the rears, you may want to try what I did. I know that several people here have had good luck with bolting on the AAJ kits, but given the issues some of the other supplies talk about one could get lucky or one may not. Given the issue of the tapped axles, it makes sense that this could be an issues.

James

PS, make note of the wheel pin. We made one and used one of the old rivet holes (threaded) to hold the disc in place and to help when mounting the rear wheel under the low slung fenders.

p_00090.jpg

• Thanks 1