Cheers To Wives Who Support Us

keithb7

This evening I was in my garage workin’ on my ‘38 Plymouth. My wife showed up with a sign that she saw in a store. She bought it and she even hung it for me. I’m grateful she supports my old car hobby. I’m very impressed that she even knows what Mopar means!

I am a lucky man. 26+ years married so far. Not 1 hint of disapproval when I wanted to buy my 2nd old.Mopar  She was smiling in the passenger seat of the musty old interior, right beside me when we jumped in to check it out for the first time. 

Anyone here as lucky? Let’s hear about it. 

96E89B18-C7F7-42A3-BE34-0803BC02A3A1.jpeg

• Like 2

My wife loves riding in the truck with me. A few years ago she was with me at Back to the 50’s and fell in love with the Nash/Hudson/AMC Metropolitans. Since then she’s kept her eyes out for one in her budget, and she found one last fall. It was needing a fair bit of body work but she wanted it, and told me repeatedly they she want’s to do much of the work on it. And she has. We haven’t had too many work days on it yet, but she’s there in the garage with me not afraid to dig in and learn as much as possible. 

She was a Millwright (maintenance mechanic) at a local paper mill when I met her, so I know she can handle tools. And she can probably weld better than me. Now we just need more time to work on the Met. 

• Like 2

My wife doesn't care too about Old Cars but doesn't begrudge me mine interest or investment so I will take that and be happy.  Known several women who just pestered their husbands until they gave up whatever the thing was the wife did not like or thought was a waste of money.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:27 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

My wife doesn't care too about Old Cars but doesn't begrudge me my interest or investment in them so I will take that and be happy.  Known several women who just pestered their husbands until they gave up whatever the thing was the wife did not like or thought was a waste of money.

No idea how the double post occurred. Webmaster may delete if he wishes too.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

One of my favorite topics cause I love jumping on the salute to my best friend! 

A couple folks here have met my wife and might have figured out this hobby is not her passion but she supports me endlessly. 

She continually tells folks “there is worse habits he could have” 

With just returned from “back to the 50’s” this year... on the way back made a few detours,

one being a “Craig list” stop. 

628D0C29-8207-498C-B3AF-23625E1C7339.thumb.jpeg.e0e39233916629fe4b066509573a4c80.jpeg

She shows interest, even jokes “ instead of a fence around the property, we could just line up the trucks......” ?

And as a thank you to the forum members. 

This year between the bbq in CA and BTT50’s, we drove around 5200 miles in hanging out with friends from this forum.... all whom have made her feel welcome and a part of what we do. 

We both thank you all! 

• Like 4

Some years ago I hauled home a 31 Ford Coupe, Model A.  At the last of three truckloads, she called out the window, you paid $150 for WHAT!  After many evenings out in the garage, I heard her telling one of her friends that that Ford was better than another woman or whiskey at the bar, at least she knew where her hubby was.  After a year she remarked that maybe another woman would be better, she said "I can compete with a woman but not with that car!"  After about 7 years, I got a hankering for a convertible and she insisted that the Ford has to go, these are not like a stamp collection.  So I sold the Model A and bought a 1970 Dodge Challanger Convertible.  I kept that for 7 years and then sold it with the idea that I would get a pickup.  I made a mistake and added up how much it would cost so I bought a new Ranger instead.  It took until 2005 before I found the 1948 Dodge.

She does support all of my passions.

I always heard that if your OL doesn't support you it's time for a new OL. ? I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with that, just that it's something I heard.

My wife and I met in '70. Been together since '71 and married since '74. I currently own 10 motorcycles and a few parts bikes, a bunch of other vehicles and parts, a slew of guitars and amplifiers, plus collections of other stuff. During our time together I've worked on motorcycles in the living room, rebuilt engines in the kitchen, and there have always been various motorcycle or car parts somewhere in the house. The only thing I've given up since we've been together is playing in rock bands. For me that's self-destructive behavior and I'm better off without it. I do admit to being a bit nostalgic for those days but as the great St. Louis philosopher Yogi Berra said, "Nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

• Like 3

I like hearing these stories. I too love to talk about my best friend. They broke the mold after she was born. Many a man have asked me if my wife has a sister. She does haveva sister but they are nothing alike. 

I like to go on about all her amazing skills and work effort. I try to refrain but will list a top 5.

Please excuse my boasting. She is the real deal:

She personally,  totally renovates our homes. No she does not hire contractors. She does stucco, hardi-plank or vinyl siding. She removes and installs new exterior windows. Tile and hardwood flooring. Hang doors. Builds cabinets. Custom builds and tiles showers. Drywall, including ceilings. Paint. Brickwork.  Rips out and upgrades plumbing. Solders copper and electronics. Custom builds furniture from scratch. Has her own well eqipped wood shop in the basement. Does Electrical work. Amazing finish carpentry work. She picky as h e l l and does the work of mutiple men.   She’ll drop whatever, when I ask her to help me install a transmission or push a dead car. She’ll shove her small hands in tight areas to get a bolt that I can’t access. This morning she pulled dead mice  from our basement traps.  She is dedicated to any projects she starts and gets them finished to a very high standard. Many a man have been humbled when they got in her way.  She’d die to protect her sons who she poured the best of herself into. 

That was #1 in my list  I’ll stop there. I am very fortunate.  I gotta run, she needs a hand. She’s installing a new bathtub in her bathroom reno today. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

This morning she pulled dead mice  from our basement traps.

I'd settle for that......lol. My wife doesn't bother about things she can't change....cars or fishing, in return I don't whine about going to functions that I don't care for or seeing people she likes but I think are goobers. It works out well.

I can throw down with this thread, 34 years (yesterday) and counting!  The missus helped quite a bit with the revival of the D24, although once the kids got to "sporting ages" that tapered off and I have trouble getting her back in the garage since then.  I've had to talk her out of buying more old cars than vice versa.  Odd that I tend to be the voice of reason with them, all I have to do is show a little curiosity in some random old car by the road, and she wants us to buy it.  I could probably exploit that, but I prefer to have her support in getting and keeping the current stuff running. 

We've been together over 35 years; at first, she was pretty supportive, going to shows & cruises, and supportive of my growing collection of "old" cars, and never complaining about her car being outdoors, giving up space for the "old cars". But, after about 20 or 25 years, her interest waned in all things "old cars". Although she doesn't complain about the "old cars" around the ole homestead, she doesn't care to ride in them anymore. But, she does still give moral support for whatever I want to do w/them. ?

Having Stephanie in my life, is beyond my writing capabilities. She has filled a big hole in my heart and embraced my love and need for the old trucks.

She has never been involved with the old truck world like she is now, and loves the friends she has made by being a part of it all. Her beauty is only eclipsed

by her intelligence. She manages the books for the house as well as our business. She often gives me the "Ok" for automotive purchases  based on a wish list

she has me keep updated...lol. Her 1945 COE is a priority and will be underway when we locate The "right" platform (frame) for the project. 

1954 Dodge and the girlfriend.png

post-340-0-40767300-1422116379.jpg

IMG_3870 (1).JPG

wedding 2016.jpg

• Like 3

My old lady is a keeper too. Never gives me a hard time on money spent. Always pestering me to go for a ride in one of the vehicles. She doesn't like to get dirty, but helps out when I need a hand.

IMG_1870-2268x3024.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/8/2019 at 8:00 PM, tom'sB2B said:

My old lady is a keeper too.........Always pestering me to go for a ride in one of the vehicles. 

Where's the "old lady" ? Geez, If she has a drivers license yet,

let her drive the D24 to the next BBQ and you follow in the B2 ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1