Door limiter?

Happy 4th fellas

Can anybody tell me more about how these door limiters are supposed to work?

Search didn’t turn anything up. “Door limiters” gave a million posts- putting the AND inbetween gave zero. Maybe my nomenclature is wrong?

Thanks!

Radar

91BFED8A-C921-4861-A616-EE83DB4F4383.jpeg

door check will get a better response...the strap in this case is metal...it has incorporated into it spring steel latches that snap around the metal band riveted to the door as you show...the other end just pins to the A-post.....there is also a rubber cushion built into the check to absorb shock...the strap is usually pretty robust, the door strap can and will loosen or break out...repairable but will require some tedious work or removal of the outer layer for better access then weld back...often the door frame cracks where the latching section is riveted requiring welding as an effective long term repair.  let me see if I can find a pic....

picture is not for your application but will show basic design and operational characteristics of the locking section..

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

And when these are in proper condition they work very well.  If broken or damaged (like any other door check) things can go bad.

Sorry for cross pollinating the info in this thread with my build thread. I’m going to hack at my hotrod the wrong way sometimes and that’s fine but this thread should stay about stock door checks in general for the searcher that wants to learn. 

In that spirit- a question:

Does the stock check have a detent feature to keep a door held 4/5ths or so open? Like modern cars do? 

I’m looking at the section of the check right before the rubber on the long side of the arm- looks like duck lips. 

Thanks!

Oh and to further clean up and help consolidate this check info here’s the link to the stockers you can get from DCM that Merle took the time to look up for me

https://dcmclassics.com/home/615-i-137-55-door-checksstops.html

Edited by Radarsonwheels

there is no two step like later cars with the torsion spring and roller detent....as I stated last...the springs along the check bar that is what snaps and lock to the door latch...(see the oval you posted on your door) this is the stay open latch and stop combined...the rubber adds cushion..

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2019 at 6:36 AM, Radarsonwheels said:

Can anybody tell me more about how these door limiters are supposed to work?

May or may not help

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, John-T-53 said:

I need one of these for the passenger side... door is dented where it has opened into the rear edge of the front fender as a result of said piece missing.

Those "arms" are re-popped by a few well known vendors.

it's the "guide holder" at the door, a couple of us are working on.....

I always thought a lack of grease, caused these to rust, break the holder, bind the door so, folks pulled them off and the door swung open too far and dented the door..... (but that is just speculation on my part)

WOW, all that for a pennies worth of grease? ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...