Howdy! New member here with a retirement project

Hi guys! I figured I would dive bomb in here and introduce myself. My name is Stan and I am self employed contractor hanging out in New Jersey. I am about 2 years away from retirement and have a nice project witning in the wings. I have spent the last 7 years working on a 46 chevy truck. If any of you vist the Chevy truck forum you have probably seen the build thread.

https://i.imgur.com/TUaDzdj.jpg[/img]  https://i.imgur.com/XYERfcf.jpg[/img]  Now that it's done, my wife has been bugging me to get another preoject started to keep me out of her hair. Soooooo, after a trip to Connecticut I came home with this 46.

https://i.imgur.com/N9Pu1Ba.jpg[/img]  First lets see if I have figured out how to post pics on this forum.

From what I can gather, this was a Dakota truck that somehow made it way East via a classic collector who decided he didn't want it once he got it home. He then sold it to another guy who shoved in the back of his textile mill and never did anything with it. That's when I scooped it up.  All in all it a real solid truck! The only rust it has is 2 holes about the size of a golf balls directly below the lower door hinges on each side. Also a small patch will be needed on the back of the cab at the very bottom. Don't mind the dandelion on the doors. Even though my current plan is to leave the patina that will be the first thing to come off. LOL! 

So as I was sayin.............. I brought the truck home about 2 years ago and it is now in pieces. The rolling frame is now sitting outside, the cab is on a dolley in the garage, and all the other body parts are upstairs in the loft staying dry until a formulate a plan. That's where things get kind of sticky. You see, I am one of those guys who tend to over analize everything to death. Not to mention change my mind constantly. All at the same time wanting to be different! I am not the "same belly button as everyone else has",  kind of guy.

This project will defiantely be going in the smae direction as the chevy, subtle street rod. Problem is there are so many choices. First off I thought about doing another inline six. So I startred gathering up some slant six parts. Only to be scared off by the whole oil pump/ cam gear mesh nonsense they seem to have. So I promptly sold off that junk and leaned toward a 318 poly! I found acomplete poly engine on CL for cheap and now have it apart in the garage waiting for a hot tank cleaning and magnaflux check. However now I am getting the itch for a GenIII 5.7 Hemi. See what I mean? LOL!

Here's a few more pics.

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_9636.JPG

IMG_9639.JPG

IMG_9638.JPG

IMG_9507.JPG

• Like 2

To further complicate matters, I am not sure what I want to do for a chassis. Hopefully you guys can give me some advice. When I did my Chevy I put a Mustang IFS in it from Scott's hot rods. I was thinking about going in the same direction, but of course there is always a Dakota swap. Only problem is, I have spent WAAAAAY to many hours on Craigs;ist looking for a pre90's donor truck. Here on the East coast there is nothing to be had. There is also the S10 route but that would be my very last choice as I want to keep this all Mopar. And again S10 out here on the East coast are few and far between, and nothing for under 2K.

So at this point it looks like keeping the stock frame (which is in great condition), and going with IFS in the front and either flipped axle on leafs, or a 4 link set up. Whats your thoughts??????

Welcome to the Forum? Based on the  picture of the Chebby, you really know what you're doing. Nice looking truck. For the 'new' Dodge, I really like that Patina its got. Too bad you can't keep it like that. Sure would make it distinctive. Please keep the pix coming; we luv pix. ?

Hey thanks guys! Just to be clear, the patina is staying on the truck. Just the dandelions are comming off the doors. I think just a good scuff with some scotchbrite will take them off. I think the final prodduct will be lightly scuff the entire truck then hit it with matte clear. I think a nice set of 16" artillery wheels would look good. As for a motor.....As long as the 318 poly block and heads are good, I think that is the direction I will head in. As with the slant six, there are just to many inherent problems with the 3rd gen 5.7 hemis.

Welcome to the forum. Nice find - the 46 looks really clean. I was looking for a project a little over a year ago and stumbled on a 47 one ton. Started documenting my build on this forum (Cabbage Hauler). I too have kicked around a number of different drive train ideas - originally wanted to stay original but ran into problems with the old flatheads. Finally committed to a 360 with 727 trans - at least for now. Keep the pictures coming...