1930 Chrysler 77

keithb7

Today I was at the finish line of the 2019 Hemmings Great Race. It was at the LeMay museum in Tacoma Washington.  There was also an open car show for any makes and models.  

I saw an awesome car at the show n’ shine that I thoroughly enjoyed. The owner let me get a real good close look. I sat in the front seat, and crawled around the rear seat area too. Taking everything in. 

The car was an original, 100% stock, 1930 Chrysler model 77 fourdoor sedan. The car is a true survivor that has never been restored. The interior was in amazing, stock condition.  The car has around 20,000 original miles. The car has been stored for countless years in a garage I assume. I was informed only 436 of this car were built in 1930. 

4 speed. Hydraulic brakes. The owner and I were unsure exactly how much of the frame was wood. I know I saw some wood. He’s only owned it for a short time. A younger fellow. He is truly fortunate to find and secure this car in it’s current state. 

The owner and I spoke for a while. I went back again later to see the car once again and talk further. For now, I’ll limit sharing more knowledge about the car here. I’m going to invite him here. Hopefully he’ll register and introduce himself and his car here. 

A sneak peak of limited pics I have.  Maybe owner will post more we’ll see. - Keith

DDBF25BC-EF71-44D1-A517-2228EE948201.jpeg

• Like 2

There must be two versions of the 77, I always thought that the hood sides had a different style of grilling to what you have pictured above.

30_Chrysler-Series77-DV-14-RMH-04-800.jpg.20ddb8cde524b71fef44a54f7aeac1c7.jpg

The typical 77 "Pennon" type hood is shown in the Town Sedan below..

.Looks like  late

The typical 77 "Pennon" type hood is shown in the above picture.

Looks like  late 1930 Chrysler 77 series cars did away with the louvers according to "70 years of Chrysler".

The "77" is on the headlamp tie bar on all the 77 cars

Now Is the car Keith has shown a 77 Crown Sedan with out the Pennon hood and wire wheels.. 2654 produced 

Or is it the Town Sedan with wood spoke wheels and the Landau bars...only 436 produced.... Hmmm

I looked all this up in "70 Years of Chrysler"

mini_IMG_5825.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Apart from the inside window moldings which may still have been timber I thought the majority of US Mopars were all steel bodies by Budd or Mopars body companies by this stage..........I remember years ago, when I first started getting interested in old cars a local guy found a 1916 Dodge Tourer, complete but needing restoration, this was around 1969, I was still at school and had barely enough money to buy my 1st car, a 1938 Ford Standard 4dr sedan for $30.00...........this Dodge Tourer was all steel, in really nice condition, virtually no rust and it looked like it went............it was $100.......from what I understand it would have been a fully imported US built car.............still remember it 50 yrs on......lol.........andyd   

Reviewing the data printed in my Chrysler book this morning I find:

The Chrysler 77 featured hydraulic internal brakes, 4-speed tranny, double drop frame, parking lamps front upper corner pillars. Pennon typer hood louvers were used on early production units, while later cars featured vertical louver design. 

77 Royal Sedan (owner's info board claimed it was a Royal Sedan) 5 passenger. Price was $1495. Weight 3,755 lbs. Production total 7,211units.

Interesting is the 3.375 bore x 5" stroke engine. Must be some decent torque here compared other 1930 cars.

It seems the 1930 77 Town Sedan saw only 436 production units. Seems to be some discrepancy here. It happens. Nice car. I'd be smitten with it if it were mine.

Another of the interior. Maybe it has had some work? I can’t confirm. Owner said it was all original. Here’s another shot. 

AEB369B1-AAD9-434D-B19A-24096B0717EC.jpeg

9 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Apart from the inside window moldings which may still have been timber I thought the majority of US Mopars were all steel bodies by Budd or Mopars body companies by this stage..........I remember years ago, when I first started getting interested in old cars a local guy found a 1916 Dodge Tourer, complete but needing restoration, this was around 1969, I was still at school and had barely enough money to buy my 1st car, a 1938 Ford Standard 4dr sedan for $30.00...........this Dodge Tourer was all steel, in really nice condition, virtually no rust and it looked like it went............it was $100.......from what I understand it would have been a fully imported US built car.............still remember it 50 yrs on......lol.........andyd   

I cant recall when Chrysler went to all steel construction maybe 33-34, but this 77 is a timber construction with a steel veneer outer sedan body.

The 77 with the "Pennon"  type hood is my favourite model of all time, the art deco interior makes one feel like a gatsby.

A picture of a 1930 "Royal Sedan"...7211 produced according to the Chrysler book.

They.... "1930 model 77's) are really cool looking cars

IMG_5886.JPG