ISO 1939 Plymouth P8 Coupe Rear fenders

Tickitman

Welcome aboard..........unfortunately I'd be very surprised if anyone makes repo body parts for a 1939 mopar, I have seen fibreglass fenders and body parts listed over the years for 1934-36 mopars so it might be possible but other than check various hot rod shops and the like I think you maybe out of luck.......how bad are the ones you have..........post some pics............I taught myself to weld and widened the rear fenders on the 1940 Dodge so anything is possible.........these were cut with a hacksaw, a strip of 20 gauge metal guillotined, gas welded in front to back and hammer finished.........this was 1974/75, I was 20 and couldn't afford to pay someone to do it, nor did I trust anyone either ........lol.......Andyd

img005 (5).jpg

P1000697 (800x600).jpg

• Thanks 1

I have a pair of '39 Plym rear fenders... They have some issues but are very solid fenders..  For your info, '37-38-39 Plyms all use the same rear fenders.

• Thanks 1

I have used my 37 rear fenders on my 38 for a short time, they are the same.    The rear 39 fenders look different near the bumper area, where they attach to the tailpan.

Not sure if the 39 sedans, and coupes have the same fenders...

39 plymouth.jpg

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, Tickitman said:

Does anyone know of a company that reproduces rear fenders for the 39 P8?  The ones on the car a bit of work to bring back from the dead, will do it if I don’t have a choice!

Found my fender order for my 37/38 rear fenders.   Company was Bebop's,,Athens, Tenn 37303,,,423 623-9524..email bebops@usit.com..

I think the company make hot tubs also...    Not sure if they are still in business.    This was in 2002.     The price was $135 each..no tax..

• Thanks 1

All of the fenders, front and rear are the same on the '39's, as is the running boards. The larger '39 tail lights, set flush into the fenders might make the fender look different. Of course the front fenders of the '39's are completely different due to the inset square head lights.

39 Plym conv.7-14-8.jpg

Reviewing the rear pix of your '37 sedan, I noted that the bumper bracket hole in the right fender is much different, it is very square and larger, the factory hole is quite oval. I would assume that the right fender has undergone extensive repair work.

One of the rear fenders on my conv cpe is from a 4 dr sdn, one is from a 2 dr sdn. both front fenders and the grille shell are from a car of unknown origin.

My car sat in an open field in Montana for thirty-eight years, and had been customized prior to arriving in Montana from California.

According to the published history of the '37-39 Plym's the bodies are basically the same, regardless of the body style. The Chrysler Parts Book dated Feb 20 1939 only lists one set of fenders, front and rear.

The big difference in the '39's is the V windshield which makes the body look longer and appears to make the passenger area look larger. A very cleaver re-design that allowed Chrysler to re-use the basic '37-38 body for another year. Ford and GM did not figure this out until the '41-48 models.

Walter P. and his team of engineers were pretty cleaver guys...

39 Plym.6-96.1.jpg

39 Plym.6-96.2.jpg

I have attached a couple of pix of what the tail section of a '37-39 plym should look like. I should point out that the only lead used to repair the body was in the factory seams, there is no Bondo on the entire body.

39 Plym.6-04.6.JPG

39 Plym.3-98.2.jpg

Edited by blucarsdn
added info

This is my 37 four door that had been sitting in a field in Ill. for many years.     The square hole is for the 37 or 38 bumper bracket, and square rubber boot.

The curve of the 37/38 fenders fit flush with the tailpan...

002.JPG

004.JPG