Lost my nickles...hood spring help needed!

ebruns1

30 minutes ago, ebruns1 said:

So old springs don't lose their tension after 70 yrs?  If so, that's great I won't replace them.  I thought it might help putting new ones on that's why I asked...

Also,  the springs from MOPAR PRO that say for "1946 Chrysler Windsor" are the wrong springs???  His ad is wrong?

no they may well be correct springs but no link was provided and in the past no new were available........they are far from being a compression spring as listed....they are extension springs....

2 hours ago, ebruns1 said:

I'd still like an answer to my original question...how do I remove the old hood springs?  Why you ask?  Well I'm thinking about replacing them anyway...  Right now you really have to push up and lift the hood until the arm snaps into the lock position.  Wouldn't new springs make lifting that big heavy hood much easier?  Has anyone here installed new springs?  Did it make any difference or do you still need to heave it up?  When I pop my hood release and push the safety catch I have to pull out very strongly and lift it in order to get the hood open.  If new springs are not going to make much difference than I'll leave them as is and save the money...they are $75 on Epay!  So who's done this and did it help?  Thanks fellas!

How do you remove those hood springs and re-install..

I just use a short small chain with it hooked to the bottom of the spring.... make a loop at the bottom of the chain for a rod to slide through...pry the spring down an inch to unhook it.

Make sure you leave enough slack in the chain so the pry rod can have enough room to move up to completely release the hood spring. 

IMG_6012.JPG

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6013.JPG

• Thanks 1

I solved my hood spring removal challenge in a similar manner as above.  I made a "stirrup" with a length of rod stock long enough to reach from the bottom spring hook to just below the rocker panel.  A hook was formed at the top end, a triangular shaped stirrup, sized to your foot,  at the other.  Standing on/in the stirrup extends the spring while at the same time you can lean over the fender and direct the spring to "unhook" as you release.

Probably be tough to do however, with the hood in place.

Thank you Dodgeb4ya and mrwrstory! 

That is what I was after, a "how-to" on what works.   Much simpler than what I was envisioning with a turnbuckle!  Excellent!