‘53 Plymouth coupe purchase

pflaming

A friend put me on to a ‘53 coupe for sale. The car is the same color as my suburban, so the fenders, grille, and hood will swap on and now I will not have a two toned car, additionally, I can use the fully upholstered front seats, the engine spins with the starter, AND it has a factory R10 overdrive. I secured the buy and will get it home when I return from Maine. 

I am stoked. 

ACFE25B2-4D5F-48AA-8A7C-6FEB5BCE2295.jpeg

600D9DB2-1A70-4BC4-B8B3-A9ED0F4B0641.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I like the two door coupe. Since it’s a complete car, will fix to safe level and keep it for myself. I will put the doghouse on the Suburban.  

94E980E4-24F5-4B57-A1E2-14921AC5E6E0.jpeg

Edited by pflaming

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, pflaming said:

I like the two door coupe. Since it’s a complete car, will fix to safe level and keep it for myself. I will put the doghouse on the Suburban.  

94E980E4-24F5-4B57-A1E2-14921AC5E6E0.jpeg

Since it is a complete car and you plan on keeping it, why would you take the doghouse off and put it on another vehicle you plan on selling? Does not make sense to me. Finish off the Suburban with what you have, sell it, and concentrate on the coupe as they are not that common. Just my opinion but they are your cars so do what you want.

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I will take Robertkb’s suggestion and keep the coupe original.  After some further thought, I will remove the exterior surface rust and keep the original paint also. Original doghouse, original patina, got to stay true to my roots! Anyone have an extra pair of dice, fuzzy or otherwise, maybe some mud-flaps, dual rear radio antennas,  and hood ornament bug deflector? 

Edited by pflaming

• 1 month later...

I am back in California. Arrangements have been made to bring the coupe here on Friday. Then I will know what I bought. I asked the seller if I needed to bring a good set of tires. His response was no, the tires are new!  Sure curious what “new” looks like. My car is like the back car! LOL 

968A7D65-B626-41A0-B980-474CB3D38EC8.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Frank, NO CATS!!!  

I’m going to try and start the engine: ATC in the pistons, aux fuel tank, check the points, hot battery, spray the carb with a cleaner, water in the, radiator  and go for it. Maybe change the oil. 

Any suggestions? 

• Like 1

I did a thorough inspection of the 53 coupe this morning and found: solid floors and door sills, no dents in the body, all original non cracked side and rear glass, windshield has a major pit, door and rear regulators work free and easy, no apparent bondo except the driver door, AKK side SS trim is without scratch or dent, hood ornament and center plate good, three full rim original hubcaps, original rims, overdrive, missing the front bumper, engine nice and clean, radiator  no nicks.

Has original radio, six volt battery, generator, starter, carb and oil Bath ain’t cleaner, and more. Only one plate. . . . 

I am stoked! 

FBFECD47-B57D-43A0-9A5A-331D4B89C494.jpeg

F413F22B-F266-4C63-8170-0068D9301955.jpeg

My bet is a used car dealer.

I can tell you that by 1955 no factory dealers had that name in Modesto. Before that I did not look much as cars because I would have less that 5 years old.

DJ

res

20 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

I'll bet neither one of you bothered to look it up......read the whole obit  it will tell all.

http://www.seeley-society.net/vitals/vcally108b.html

Now I know why I never heard of that car dealer. He was located away from most of the new car dealers where the police station now stands. Plus-

I stated new "cars". Rambler or Metropolitan never seemed to be real cars (?) and my dad would never ever buy a Rambler so we never went to the dealership to see the New cars when they came available as was a highlight in September for the grownups back in the day! War surplus spot lights a blazin' and all. Even bands at times. ?

Man that dude made a bundle of $$ ( 5mil. was major bucks back then) when he sold the property where the 'Mc Henry Village" was built! The village was a brand new style of spread out multi shopping experience with about 25 businesses in one big lot with plenty of parking in contrast to most similar types stores downtown where parking was a bitch!

DJ