fuel tank Straps

JSabah

I had my fuel tank coated with the ReNu process as it had lots of holes and there are no repros ('49 Ply woody).  Getting ready to reinstall and I don't recall if there was any felt/rubber between the straps upper that is welded/bolted to the car as well as lowers that it "hangs" on.  several other cars that I've done have this but they are all European/British.

Yes there is on mine also. Even if there wasn't it would be a good idea to use some kind of  cushion. I used old rubber tubes to make mine. I just cut it to the size strips I wanted and silicone them in place to hold them while the tank was going in. Same process on the bottom.

As I mentioned, I recently had my fuel tank coated (inside and out ) with the ReNu process because tanks for the ‘49 Plymouth Woody are not available- and mine was riddled with pinholes. In addition to the coating,  I was planning on using some rubber between the straps  and the tank when I reinstall so obviously the tank won’t be grounded. I have the bayonet type fuel sender and don’t recall as I write this if there is a separate ground lug but if not, I like the method shown in another thread of adding a ground stud. My question is , is there another reason to have the tank grounded (sparks, explosion?)? I recall being told when filling a portable gas tank (Gerry tank) to put it on the ground and not your car/trunk exactly for that reason .... just thinking I should make sure the sending unit is connected to the tank with no isolation.... thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the tank in with my plates straps and rubber pads .... now for the hard part - getting the filler pipe in (and when I say hard, take into account that I got the tank in myself which was a trick holding it up and bolting it from the top)

FEC92CD2-6FA3-4030-8AC5-C91E14F0170D.jpeg