Servicing U-joints

48Windsor

I went to Frank's Transmission in Concord NC. He put my drive shaft in a Lathe and spun it. While using an Acetylene Torch, Crayon, and cold Water Wet Rag he straightened the Shaft, right on that Lathe, and then installed my new U-Joints in the Drive Shaft with a Ball Peen Hammer, and Wires to hold it until I got home to re-installed it. He only Charged me $80, I told him that was the most interesting thing I have ever witnessed and tipped him generously and left. He even tried to not receive any tip at all. It took him less than 20 minutes. It was as we say in the South - The G.D.est thing I have ever witnessed. I even asked him if he had a degree in physics. He laughed and informed me that he never even finished school. Older Machinists know their stuff.

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would re-visit this with you all on what I ended up doing. I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased 2 NOS u-joints from Bernbaum. Roberts was out of stock. I figured if it was good for 71 years, it should last the few more years I have it, especially since these are greasable. The old ones are not.

571535793_ujointssmal.jpg.b38d4db063794b60ebea808b2d1d6671.jpg

Its been 30+years since I've serviced u-joints but it all went pretty smooth. The cause of the "PING" I was hearing came from the rear u-joint. Fortunately they weren't dry yet and wasn't squeaking. The two caps attached to the drive shaft were starting to wear. Sorry for the poor picture quality but you can see the wear marks on the left side. Both caps were like that but the caps the with the bolts were not wore. The front u-joint was in much better shape but I replaced it also.

307871649_wornujsmal.jpg.7c5fda15b0218226af128300736a7008.jpg

Anyway, no more PING when starting out. Cleaned up the drive shaft and we're rolling again. I do need the correct torque setting for the bolts/nuts. According to the manual its somewhere between 18 and 38 ft lbs, I couldn't decipher what? I would suggest dropping the drive shaft and cleaning/greasing these u-joints if the don't have zerks so you don't have the cost of replacement, if you can find  them. Tom B.

533328420_driveshaftsmal.jpg.63f7948d91bde2c635911fc3223af40a.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a good job!  Did not know Bernbaum had any more.  The U-joint I bought from him was the other kind with the big hole through the cross.  I wonder if the bat-wing style of U-joint are interchangeable with my type of of U-joints?  did you do the replacement yourself?  I've heard you need a bench press to press out the bearings, so I am taking mine to a shop.   Marc.

Did you remove the splined yoke to lubricate it?  you need to mark it so it goes back together the same way.  that is a good video you linked us too.  We don't have external bearing clips, which he spends a lot of time on, but he shows just how easy it is to remove u-joints.  I noticed he didn't bother to soak the caps in liquid wrench first, as maybe our cars would need after 70 years.  Some have told me to take my drive shaft to a machine shop so it can be balanced too.  Any thought on that?  

Here's another good link to a how to video on u-joints  

Edited by MarcDeSoto