thoughts on a un-level engine

Los_Control

I posted here the other day, and still working on the neighbors car.

Cooling system is fixed.

My todo list,

Repack wheel bearings ... there is one loose and just maintenance, grease all zirk fittings same time.

The Brakes are original drum and single reservoir. I just need to do a safety check and clean, adjust as needed. Replace worn parts also, but they work pretty good as is.

Put the seat back in it's original position .... The builder drilled new holes and moved it forward for his short wife.

And I wanted to change the oil.

And this is what bugs me, I was more concerned that the dipstick showed over 1 quart more then needed.

Then when I crawled under it to change the oil, The drain plug is in front of the oil pan, the deep stick is located in the rear of the pan ... pull the plug and less then 1/2 quart comes out.

I am just assuming this is not great but works, is fine. The pickup tube is in the rear of the pan, this is a pressurized oil system. I need to find a hill to back the car up on, get the engine level and change the oil.

I usually only see this discussion on drive line angle, never oil pan angle.

Wondering what advice if any to pass to the owner?

IMG_20190625_135829175_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190625_135813162.jpg

I love the sound of crickets  :D

I think I should yank this motor out, install a flathead 230 .

Actually, these dang fords and maybe only the 302, has 2 drain plugs.

The pan has a front & rear section, they ran a cross member in the middle, you need 2 plugs on this motor.

What I laugh about, I talked to a friend of mine that use to have a mustang, he told me about the two plugs.

I slap my forehead, but then I kinda remember myself that 10-15 years ago, I knew they had two plugs.

Just laughing about it, the engine is still not even close to sitting level, I do not like it, but the car was built back in 1998. 

Lasted this long, if it goes out I would be trying to talk the owner into a y block. Not my choice.

My 82 Mustang with the 302 only had one drain plug in the back. 2 is news to me. 5.4?  Read your post earlier but could not see the reason the engine was tilted. Seems either lazy or silly or maybe whoever did it was not the mechanic he thought he was.

56 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

could not see the reason the engine was tilted. Seems either lazy or silly or maybe whoever did it was not the mechanic he thought he was.

My best guess,  whoever did it was not the mechanic he thought he was   :D

My second guess, They did not want to cut the floor and rebuild a new trans tunnel ... It also has the Aod tranny that came with the motor ... A modified drive line and wiring harness, all else is original.

Tomorrow I will have the seat relocated, moved back for belly room, should be done with it ... though tempted to check the wheel bearings and brakes, before returning it.

• Like 1

One of those jobs that just never end.

Rusty stopped by this morning while I had the seat unbolted, we set it where it fit him .... aint no more passengers riding in the back seat ... ?

The car really seems to need a good tune up, same time, the gas in it is over 1 year old. It has to be ran out and fresh gas added. Go from there.

It is a old car and I enjoy working on it, I really have no desire to drive my buddies car.

My wife says she will drive us around, get the car ready!

Rusty as a EMT, he had a rough night, got a extra shift pushed on him, laid his head down at 9:00 pm and was immediately  sent on a call, Finished about 2:00 am was able to lay his head down and sent out again at 3:00 am ... he is resting now. After a couple 9:00 am beers.

I am finishing bolting down the seat and re-position the seat belts, I think my wife is going to take us old boys out for a ride.  :P

the cost of draining the fuel would be to your advantage...if just a gallon or so, adding fresh fuel and possibly a bit of Textron would be good move on your part....but multiple gallons...just a lot to deal with and if there is any separation of the fuel ( common with ethanol fuels) additives will not do the trick...totally not worth it in my book...just recently bought a car that had been sitting for some time....they do not run well on old fuel....I think I go most all fuel out and with fresh fuel and a bit of Textron.....it purrs real nice now.....could save you some headaches.

youtube vids from a phone suck, sound quality is not great. You hear to much wind.

You can at least tell it is running smooth, just touch the key and it starts ... but the gas is a year old.

He licensed it last may, and registration ran out end of may. The seller filled the tank, installed a new battery.

The owner drove it home and parked it.

The gas is a year old, I cant tune it with this gas, just a short trip on the road will cure that.

Sigh, I moved the seat back. Simply moved the front bolt holes, to the rear bolt holes. About 7 inches.

The owner sat in it and is where he needs it. Now the seat does not want to adjust forward, I cant touch the pedals as it is.

Pull it back out tomorrow and fuss with it. As is it takes a tall man to be able to drive it.

https://youtu.be/5lQvIMmkJAk

Ok, if it is a Mustang "car" pan it will have 2 sumps and 2 drains.  The front is small so not much comes out.  If someone installed a truck pan, it will only have a front sump.  The engine is at a bit of an angle but it won't effect anything, I've seen v-drive boats with twice the angle.  That is an 86 and up 302, but I cannot see if it says 5.0 EFI or 5.0 HO, there is a difference, mostly with the cam and firing order.

If it has a truck pan, put 6 qts of oil and see where it is on the dipstick.

If it has a car pan, put 5 qts of oil and do the same.

Looks like a light truck or Crown Vic engine...

If the firing order is the same as a 351 Windsor, it is an HO motor, probably out of a Mustang.  Low performance 302's use a different firing order and the upper plenum says "EFI"

Hope this helps????