Grinding/thumping noise when turning

51_Meadowbrook

I have noticed for a little while on my ‘51 Meadowbrook that when I am turning while going slow, 20mph or slower, I hear a thumping or grinding sound coming from the front tire area. It makes the sound at both left and right turns. I have not noticed wear marks on the inner sidewalls. The shocks are not broken and are about 2 years old. It makes the grinding/thumping sound at that spacing similar to if you had a brake hitting a high spot on the drum but I have taken the brakes apart and that is not the issue. It also doesn’t matter if the brakes are applied or not it still makes the sound. Where should I start looking? What would generally cause this sound?

Corner edge of tire hitting the frame or sway bar end clip?

Drum to backing plate rubbing?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

19 minutes ago, 51_Meadowbrook said:

I see no places where it is apparent that anything is hitting anything. They are stock rims with 205/75r15 tires. They say that that is the replacement for I believe the 7.50-15 tires

Check for cracking near the hub area. That’s where radial tires flex the older rims 

• Like 1

I see no bulges or cracks on either tire or wheel. I see nowhere where things are rubbing. But it still makes the thump thump thump when I am turning the corner at around 20mph. What pressure should the tires be at? I know originally they were around 28 but does that also apply to the radial tires?

Edited by 51_Meadowbrook

I believe 32 to 35 psi should work on the tires.

On the thumping when turning. Have you checked the toe in lately? The reason I ask is I was getting a similar sound and found that my toe in was way out which made my worn king pins to make this sound. I corrected the toe in and it really helped.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found the rear axle spindle nuts to be a little loose so I tightened them and took it for a drive. Now I not only hear it in the back but I feel it. It happens between 10-20 mph. It goes thump thump thump the whole time, not just when turning. I went to look at the u-joints but they are ball and trunnion and I don’t know how to service or lubricate them. 

Jack it up on stands ..run it in gear.... crawl under there and listen where the noise is coming from.

Carefully listen to the U-joints for clunking... mainly at the rear one.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Could the problem be in the differential ?  Specifically the spider gears and the shaft which supports them.  On slow gentle curves, the spider gear shaft would move so that it would actually hit the pinion gear.  The carrier had worn and the pin which holds the shaft in place was about to let go. Fortunately I got it figured out and repaired before disaster struck.

Noises are hard to pinpoint as they telegraph themselves through the chassis and driveline.