46-48 P15 starter question

flathead

I have P-15 motor in my 48 Dodge truck. The starter needs field coils, but I don't know which ones. I see them listed on sites like eBay, but need a part number so I can search. My starter is MCL-6102 on the tag if that helps. Thank you

While I don't know which coils your starter will need, I will say they are a BITE in A$$ to change. Check out some of the you tube videos and you will see what I mean. Your best bet will be to take it to a starter repair shop as they have the special tool to get the old coils out. By the way I am a pretty awesome mechanic if I do say so myself and that is one job I will always let some one else do.

Joe Lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flathead said:

I have P-15 motor in my 48 Dodge truck. The starter needs field coils, but I don't know which ones. I see them listed on sites like eBay, but need a part number so I can search. My starter is MCL-6102 on the tag if that helps. Thank you

For starter MCL-6102 ;  Field coil package is MCL-3005BS

20 hours ago, soth122003 said:

While I don't know which coils your starter will need, I will say they are a BITE in A$$ to change. Check out some of the you tube videos and you will see what I mean. Your best bet will be to take it to a starter repair shop as they have the special tool to get the old coils out. By the way I am a pretty awesome mechanic if I do say so myself and that is one job I will always let some one else do.

Joe Lee

Thanks Joe. I did take the starter to such a place and they wanted $357.00 to rebuild the starter. And I already had thenew bushings and brushes installed, along with an NOS armature.

2 hours ago, flathead said:

Thanks Joe. I did take the starter to such a place and they wanted $357.00 to rebuild the starter. And I already had thenew bushings and brushes installed, along with an NOS armature.

Whoa! That seems pretty high to remove, rewind and replace the field coils along with reassembly and testing. Were they aware of the complete condition of your starter or do you think that was if everything needed replaced and/or rebuilt?

They said that replacements did not exist, and that they'd have to modify a set to work. Also even tho all my parts were new, I was told they'd have to replace everything in order for it to be warranted. I just want to get on the road, it's summer cruisin' time!

To remove and replace the field coil screws you need a large screwdriver bit with 1/2 inch drive that fits PROPERLY, and ideally a cheapie impact driver. Not hard just be careful not to damage the screws. In my experience 6v field coils are built like a brick sh!thouse and most times the problem is a broken joint or missing insulation. Joints can be resoldered with a big iron and missing insulation can be repaired. In 1999 I repaired a starter that had been thru a fire by peeling off the burnt field coil insulation, painting with epoxy varnish, wrapping with cotton tape from the wife's mending kit, then painting again with epoxy varnish and baking in the oven when she was out. It still works fine.

10 hours ago, flathead said:

They said that replacements did not exist, and that they'd have to modify a set to work. Also even tho all my parts were new, I was told they'd have to replace everything in order for it to be warranted. I just want to get on the road, it's summer cruisin' time!

I understand their CYA (cover your a$$) policy because they want to protect their reputation. Maybe you could just take the starter body with the field coils in and just ask them to rewind the coils. Then you could reassemble it at home and they would only have to warranty their work as long as you didn't damage the coils upon reassembly.

It never hurts to ask.

Edited by Silverdome