Finally Done -1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe

RobertKB

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, Dartgame said:

Hi Robert KB - Beautiful job. Any changes to the drivetrain suspension or brakes ?

When I started looking for Business coupe; I found a  Canadian Dodge bus coupe same as yours but kept looking, major rust issues and price was not tenable - I eventually found my 52 ply bus coupe. I really like the dodge grill on the plymouth body, better than the plymouth grill, but the Dodge I found was too far gone for my taste.

I am putting the 52 back together slowly, and am struggling with what to do for the door hinge pillar door seals. Can you share how you handled this on your car ?

I have included some pictures of the material that I used. I did not use the full width but enough to fit under the fender and to seal nicely with the door. I did a lot of trial and error to see what would work and am pleased with the results. I did use two layers as mentioned earlier with the steel core between them. Pictures of the finished product is not great as it is very hard to photograph "in situ".

DSCN0187.JPG.3c4730f6dcc5c7d53daf957d6d24c587.JPG

DSCN0191.JPG.1053566be2ae7cebf207ee30bba13cd0.JPG

DSCN0192.JPG.60715d07dbca113943eabc1b0e18d65a.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG.f1777c47ad5cec5a28cc62f93ad58b07.JPG

DSCN0194.JPG.35dd2b2ceca53f211b704fc577b17bbc.JPG

Edited by RobertKB

Hi Robert - This is excellent information, thank you so much! 

It looks like you sandwiched the garage door seal to the outside against the fender and used another seal profile to the inside against the body opening correct ? 

Can you comment about what type seal that was, it looks like its shaped like an L of sorts ?

Edited by Dartgame

the sway bar does make a difference.  

also, I used the same seal on my convertible ( body to fender )   apparently we are on the same wavelength ,,,,,    sealed and unswayed

Edited by dpollo
add information

2 hours ago, dpollo said:

the sway bar does make a difference.  

also, I used the same seal on my convertible ( body to fender )   apparently we are on the same wavelength ,,,,,    sealed and unswayed

Sealed and unswayed……………...I like it!

I actually got the idea for the seal from you. It took a bit of figuring but worked out well.

8 hours ago, Dartgame said:

Hi Robert - This is excellent information, thank you so much! 

It looks like you sandwiched the garage door seal to the outside against the fender and used another seal profile to the inside against the body opening correct ? 

Can you comment about what type seal that was, it looks like its shaped like an L of sorts ?

I used the same garage door seal for both parts of the seal. I did it a while ago and can't remember exactly how I cut the strips. They were not as wide as shown in the pictures as I cut them lengthwise but they are wide enough to go under the fender and reach the edge of the pillar. I did use the part that is at a bit of an angle (shaped like an L) for the edge the first time.

As mentioned earlier, I silicone the first one in place, mainly so it would be easily removable if it didn't work out. Then I added the metal core from the factory seal which is held nicely in place by the screws. I then felt I needed a bit more thickness and cut the next part a bit differently. It did glue that one down. That's all I can tell you really. So far it has sealed perfectly.

You are just going to have to experiment and find what works for you. It took me many hours thinking about how to do it and experimenting before actually making the seal.

It is called Shallot Green. I have other old cars with a back seat I can use for more people. Guess the business coupe is like your truck, no more than three people...………….unless I load up that BIG BUTT trunk!:lol: