Finally Done -1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe

RobertKB

I have been working on this car since 2012 and seven years later it is finally finished. I do have a few minor things left to do but it is on the road and being driven lots. It is a Canadian Dodge based on the Plymouth but using a Dodge grille and other trim. They are a very different car to the US Dodge.

DSCN8136.JPG.c49320f0e43dfbd36c4b87acdfae0d27.JPG

DSCN8151.JPG.29c1ffa71078d13fe8c1debe4ae17b21.JPG

Untitled3.png.24aecf195e7f022ad709b46002b96e14.png

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 11

Congrats. Seven years of work and it looks fantastic. That’s commendable. Another great car back on the road for you to enjoy, and everyone can see it as it would have been new. 

Great work, good to see that it got a proper paint job, clean & shiney....I'm sure it will appreciate your work.........its basically what we here in Oz had tho' we only ever got the 4 door sedans, no two doors or anything else..........I'd love to see some more pics, interior, rear 3/4 shots, whatever.........its a real credit to you, thanks............andyd

Hard work pays off. Looks great.  As an Aside, Andydodge I once read that 2 door cars were not sold in Australia because the folks there simply refused to buy a car that did not have 4 doors if it had a back seat. Any truth to that?  Read it a long time ago and could  be  just a story. Your post reminded me of it.

4 hours ago, John Reddie said:

Great save. Absolutely beautiful RobertKB. Does it have a fluid drive or a straight standard transmission?

John R

It has the standard three speed tranny. I added a couple more pics of it in progress.

Untitled8.png.8bd58c1e1529c55ad6d2abd73f0d2d10.png

Untitled7.png.a56d42e5cc3475119d5f8e1d9c9dcd95.png

And of course, the reason for doing the car...……………………………….its BIG BUTT!!

Untitled5.png.a9b67303c1df16c87f31a1ebffe9ff1d.png

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2

Wonderful stock job done right... good going!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, woodrow said:

thtas a real beauty you have there. great work with the resto. im sure i speak for others when i say lets see some more pics! love to see the process of somebodys passion coming back to life.

I have hundreds of pictures but I can only post about three at a time. A lot of them are "remind me" pictures of various parts so I could reassemble things later.  I also have to downsize most of them before I can post them on the site. I used to use photobucket but haven't for years. I'll throw a couple more pictures in just for fun.

I appreciate all the nice comments though.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Floor repairs

DSCN9985.JPG.4156f6209cd1a41807c663564e76af48.JPG

Reassembly of body parts

IMG_0948.JPG.fa65f85653a1988dac4497e14b3431fe.JPG

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2

Plymouthcranbroo..........you asked about the Oz market and whilst I have never seen anything definative my understanding is that the Oz market wasn't really big enough to justify a wide range of vehicles.........which is why mopars for example generally were all based on the Plymouth chassis with the Plymouth/Dodge/DeSoto or Chrysler front sheet metal and various versions of the chrome moldings, head & tailights and differing upholstery and interior appointments, mostly all based on the volume seller, a 4 door sedan........2 door cars were occaisonally built, such as the Utes and sometimes Coupes but from WW2 onwards it was essentially the 4dr and ute that satified the marketplace, it wasn't till the late 60's when the Valiant line which had taken over the Mopar product line in Australia released the Valiant 2 dr Hardtop in the 1969 VF series and 1970 VG Series, both based on the 1968 US Dodge Dart 2 dr Hardtop.......up till then the valiant range consisted of the 4dr sedan, 4dr Wagon and 2 dr Ute, which still only used the 4dr front doors.......when the 1971 VG series valiants were released all hell broke loose..........we got a 4dr Sedan and 4dr Wagon, a 2 door Hardtop( Valiant and/or Chrysler Hardtop), as well as a 2dr fastback, the Valiant Charger on a 10" shorter wheelbase no less...as well as the 2 dr Ute still with the 4dr front door plus a longed for Valiant Panel Van or Sedan Delivery to US eyes.............now all Oz car manufacturing is gone, no Valiants, Holdens or Ford or jap buzz boxes either..............andyd    

Hi Robert KB - Beautiful job. Any changes to the drivetrain suspension or brakes ?

When I started looking for Business coupe; I found a  Canadian Dodge bus coupe same as yours but kept looking, major rust issues and price was not tenable - I eventually found my 52 ply bus coupe. I really like the dodge grill on the plymouth body, better than the plymouth grill, but the Dodge I found was too far gone for my taste.

I am putting the 52 back together slowly, and am struggling with what to do for the door hinge pillar door seals. Can you share how you handled this on your car ?

Edited by Dartgame

20 hours ago, RobertKB said:

I have hundreds of pictures but I can only post about three at a time. A lot of them are "remind me" pictures of various parts so I could reassemble things later.  I also have to downsize most of them before I can post them on the site. I used to use photobucket but haven't for years. I'll throw a couple more pictures in just for fun.

I appreciate all the nice comments though.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Floor repairs

DSCN9985.JPG.4156f6209cd1a41807c663564e76af48.JPG

Reassembly of body parts

IMG_0948.JPG.fa65f85653a1988dac4497e14b3431fe.JPG

"remind me photos"  ha ha. i KNOW what those are! my phone is blocked with them. as a suggestion, download a free resizer app and it will let you resize a load of pics at once allowing you to easily upload many more pics. i for one enjoy looking thru somebodies resto pics. hey i even find myself going thru my pho e looking at my own pics of past restos. its the best part of the classic car life to me. and again you have a real beautifully done car. be proud.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dartgame said:

Hi Robert KB - Beautiful job. Any changes to the drivetrain suspension or brakes ?

When I started looking for Business coupe; I found a  Canadian Dodge bus coupe same as yours but kept looking, major rust issues and price was not tenable - I eventually found my 52 ply bus coupe. I really like the dodge grill on the plymouth body, better than the plymouth grill, but the Dodge I found was too far gone for my taste.

I am putting the 52 back together slowly, and am struggling with what to do for the door hinge pillar door seals. Can you share how you handled this on your car ?

Thanks for the nice remarks.

Drivetrain, suspension, and brakes are all original except for rebuilding everything. Only thing that is not stock is the interior material. I went with dark brown and tan in the interior as I am not fond of the original materials.

The door hinge pillar seals were one of the tougher things to do and I had to do a lot of thinking about it with some advice from a fellow forum member dpollo. At his suggestion I used the older style garage door sealer that goes on the bottom of the door. I cut it to fit and silicone it in place. I then use the old metal supports (they were salvageable) over the rubber and then added another layer of rubber over that and glued it to the first layer. This needs to be done before the front fenders are put on as they sit on the rubber as well and help hold it in place. I will try to get some pics of the finished product. So far everything has stood up well and seems to seal well also. I looked for after market stuff but could find nothing for these cars. This is basically a nightmare when it comes to these cars and you have to make do as best you can. Hope this helps.

Hi Robert - Thanks - I look forward to seeing what you made for those pillar seals. I too have searched high and low and found nothing in the aftermarket. Fortunately the Metal cores from the old seals are in excellent condition, but unfortunately the rubber was cooked. 

By garage door seal, I assume you mean the rubber that is flat but has a lip that is angled away from the flat portion that would attach to the bottom of say a wooden garage door...I'll start looking at this to see what is available.

35 minutes ago, LazyK said:

I believe those are made by Steele Rubber and they are for the bigger bodied US Dodge, Chyrsler, and Desoto. I looked into them and they would not fit the Plymouth if they are the ones I am thinking of. That's why I went with my own solution.

Robert.  It will handle better with the sway bar as used on the D40 and P23.  Show up at my place and I will not only give you the parts but help you install them  dp

5 hours ago, dpollo said:

Robert.  It will handle better with the sway bar as used on the D40 and P23.  Show up at my place and I will not only give you the parts but help you install them  dp

Thanks for the offer, Dave, but I took the sway bar off a parts 1954 Canadian Dodge to use on the car. I did all the measurements, cleaned everything up, and got new rubber bushings for it and  went to install...………………………………………….and it fit perfectly. It certainly does make a difference when cornering as I did drive the car last year without it.

Once again, your offer is extremely generous but I guess I will just have to come and visit!!!

Wow!  I have to give you standing ovation for that superb work!  I also own a 3 window coupe, 48 DeSoto.  I wish I had half your skill and work ethic!  Your car is an inspiration!  Marc.

Did you have an auto shop do the magnificent paint job?  

11 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Wow!  I have to give you standing ovation for that superb work!  I also own a 3 window coupe, 48 DeSoto.  I wish I had half your skill and work ethic!  Your car is an inspiration!  Marc.

Did you have an auto shop do the magnificent paint job?  

Thanks for the nice compliment.

Yes, the bodywork and paint was done by a professional who works for himself. He got tired of working for a large "remove and replace" auto body shop and loves working on the old cars. I was lucky to find him. He took about one month for the project which was just one of several projects he was working on at the time. I did all the disassembly and reassembly.

Edited by RobertKB