How to ruin a perfectly good sway-bar?

Bob Riding

While I have it torn down, I want to upgrade the front suspension on my '52 Suburban with a beefier swaybar and read threads on this forum that say Jeep Cherokee sway-bars work well. Paul Flaming, during his summer hiatus, gave me one to try out, but the geometry seems too different to work. If I cut off the ends and just heated the the tips, I think I could get it to fit, but could I heat it enough to bend it without annealing it where it would lose it's strength? 

IMG_6998.JPG

20 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

... but could I heat it enough to bend it without annealing it where it would lose it's strength? 

To bend the steel without damaging its structure it has to bee cherry red / dark orange.*

Depending on the type of steel its strength will be reduced more or less after cooling down.

But it is possible to give it back the original strength. No professional equipment needed, but a bit knowledge of the tempering colors.

A lot of info here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_treating

Have a closer look to paragraph tempering colors, this will tell you the way to go.

You also might try to find more info in the .www, search for `steel heat treating / treatment`.

* Notes:

Slight bends may be possible without treatment.

Larger bends without applying heat will result in a strain hardening. This leads to a higher strength at the bends, but also can cause micro cracks.

Edited by PT81Jan

in all truth, you can get a warm fuzzy going to a  larger sway bar but unless you are truly auto crossing this beast, or live at the top of Pikes Peak, it is not necessary to go above what is stock.  When modification to suspension component for larger engine, radiator moved forward on a fixed upper mount style sway bar is needed or if and when a PO has hacked this or that I view this as a time to go outside the box and look to an upgrade.   Substitutes can be easily found by looking, often a breeze through the wrecking yard with a tape measure and or even looking first on e-bay for suitable style will point you in the right direction for what cars to inspect while at the junkyard....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PT81Jan said:

To bend the steel without damaging its structure it has to bee cherry red / dark orange.*

Depending on the type of steel its strength will be reduced more or less after cooling down.

But it is possible to give it back the original strength. No professional equipment needed, but a bit knowledge of the tempering colors.

A lot of info here -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_treating

Have a closer look to paragraph tempering colors, this will tell you the way to go.

You also might try to find more info in the .www, search for `steel heat treating / treatment`.

* Notes:

Slight bends may be possible without treatment.

Larger bends without applying heat will result in a strain hardening. This leads to a higher strength at the bends, but also can cause micro cracks.

Great info- exactly what I needed!

Thanks!

• Thanks 1