My Old Mopar At The Show Today - A Summary

keithb7

Today I entered my 1953 Windsor in a large regional car show. I saw a mixed bag of entries with many classes. I don’t enter to try and win any awards. I like the socializing. I like hearing the stories too. The atmosphere is fun. You can “people and car watch” for hours on end.  There is always something interesting to see. Best of all are the people who personally thanked me for making the effort to bring the old Chrysler out to show. 

As most of you can guess, there are about 10 stock cars here out of the 850 entries. There must be 700 Ford and Chevy products.  A large share being late 60’s muscle cars. It seems virtually everything is chopped, blown, or whatever else. 

I spotted 1 other old stock Mopar. A 1937 Plymouth coupe. We had a good chat. I enjoyed seeing this car. It’s similar to my new-to-me 1938 Plymouth P6 sedan. 

Great, tepid weather brought out a ton of people. I saw a steady stream of new faces all day. There seems to be no shortage of interest in old cars here today. I have walked and enjoyed all the cars in the show. However I spent a lot of time sitting by my car and speaking to folks about it. 

Today I had a good mixed group of people drop and enjoy my Chrysler. A wide age group. Sure the majority are 70+. Mostly men who said they had a 51-52-53 Desoto, Dodge or Chrysler as a first car.  Back in the 60’s I’d guess.  Several folks got their driver’s license in one like mine.  One guy smiled as he told me the huge back seat was very convenient back in the day. As he winked. The last generation of people who were around these cars when new, are still coming out to shows. These old guys sure lived in among the best of times. 

Many folks walked on by after only a micro-second glance of my Chrysler. Some people glanced then stopped to take in the big Chrysler. They realized it was stock. They realized they had not seen one in many years. One guy I spoke with said he almost walked on by. Then thought, no this car deserves a closer second look. He came back and we had a great chat. 

I really liked the folks who told me that they saw my car in the car parade last evening. Then they came to the show today to find it.  Now, there certainly weren’t many who did that but at least 3 guys told me so. That really made my day. 

One super cool guy walked up and said with authority “Nicest car in the show. Right here. Wow.”  While he nodded in approval. I thanked him and we chatted for about a half an hour. I noticed his  Mopar belt buckle. He said he watched my You Tube video about how to drive an old Fluid Torque Drive Chrysler. I was smitten that he enjoyed the video I put together.  I’m up to 35,000 or so views last time I checked...Crazy

There were no other 50’s Chryslers in the show today. 

Days like today sure are fun. It’s reassuring to see some appreciation for the old Chrysler. Especially to see folks who speak out to say they respect stock vehicles.  It builds excitement to get back under there and fix that next little thing. 

A few pics from today below. These 2 young ladies showed up in 50’s dresses. I asked for a pose they were happy to.  

There’s plenty love out there for these old Mopars. 

99AE0F77-55E3-4B9C-8843-27C5624CB6EF.jpeg

592F1E7A-1F30-4089-BDB7-620A8D796FC4.jpeg

B5A32EAF-A428-405B-A6A6-30141FDA6756.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 6

we share the same reasons for attending car shows. my original 48 P15 gains alot of attention from old and you g alike because as some peoe say its a car theyve only seen in movies. but it IS nice to win a trophy lol. nice car btw

Nice car. One of the reasons I quit going to our local towns once a year show is the fact that it is really a Chevy show and if you can't bring a Chevy maybe a Ford is ok.But a Mopar? Don't bother unless it is a Muscle car. They subtly (or not so subtly) let you know it. Last time I went I was so far away from the main stage I couldn't hear the loud music. Me, the old Jeeps and Furren cars were in exile.  

• Like 1

Keith..........have just come back from the local Wings & Wheels car & plane show put on by the South Grafton Aero Club at their airfield........had about 80 cars, 20 bikes and 30 light aircraft, even a pair of ex RAAF aircraft, a Winjeel, a trainer and another who's name escapes me.........lol...........of the cars there were 6 hotrods, including my 1940 Dodge, one restored a 1928 Chev Tourer and various street cars from the 50's to 1980's, no prizes, just a chance with a fine day in early winter to show our vehicles, talk and meet old and new friends........your report sounds just like what I have just experienced only on a much larger scale but its the same thing...........we get a nice warm feeling from the appreciation and thanks we get and the memories we rekindle..............thanks for the great report..........Andy Douglas  

• Like 1