1951 DeSoto Q&A

RamblinMan63

The engine is free now. Ive successfully pulled out all six rods&pistons. The crank journals are smooth. 

Theres some lip on all 6 cylinder walls about 1/4th of an inch down from the cylinder head surface. Its un even in all cylinders. Other then that the cylinder walls are smooth the rest of the way down. Rod and main bearings have what look like light pitting and look sort of dull. One main bearing looks like the babbits worn through to copper or something. 

The cam shaft has no physical damage but some spots have a brownish discoloration possibly from a lack of oil.

Crank and cam move freely and the valves pop up and down accordingly. There is nothing binding. 

Ramblin..........re that S15 number........if its stamped INTO a machined boss then its the engine number for THAT engine and not a casting number which are generally cast so that they sit proud of the surrounding area........S15 is for a 1951 DeSoto, for both the Deluxe and Custom Series cars, although it seems that that number was also used on the 1952 six cylinder DeSoto Deluxe and Custom series cars as well whereas the 1952 Firedome V8 series were S17's    

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 3:05 PM, Andydodge said:

Ramblin..........re that S15 number........if its stamped INTO a machined boss then its the engine number for THAT engine and not a casting number which are generally cast so that they sit proud of the surrounding area........S15 is for a 1951 DeSoto, for both the Deluxe and Custom Series cars, although it seems that that number was also used on the 1952 six cylinder DeSoto Deluxe and Custom series cars as well whereas the 1952 Firedome V8 series were S17's    

Yeah thats where that number is stamped, on a machined boss. Thank you.

That's a late 1950 on up M-6 Transmission.... Dodge DeSoto and Chrysler.. all the same except for the U-Joint  output flange .

The M-5 trans was slightly different and was used from 1946 TO 1948 DeSoto and Chrysler.

You can see the date on it and Model prefix at the beginning of the # which I cannot see from the pic.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Info correction
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That's a late 1950 on up M-6 Transmission.... Dodge DeSoto and Chrysler.. all the same except for the U-Joint  output flange .

The M-5 slightly different was used from late 1942 TO 1948 DeSoto and Chrysler.

You can see the date on it and Model prefix at the beginning of the # which I cannot see from the pic.

My landlord has a rotted out '46 desoto with an intact engine and trans. Wouldn't the fluid coupling/clutch pack out of that bolt up to my car?

Edited by RamblinMan63

Yes it will although a slighter wider ring gear on the 46 ...1/2" versus 3/8" and same tooth count.... no issues with that though.

• Like 1

If you remove the access cover with the shift linkage you'll see the model number stamped in the housing. It will show what car the tranny was originally  installed in.

Here in this example you see it was for a C56. A New Yorker. 11 17 52, maybe Nov 17 1952 production? Makes sense for a '53 NY'r.

FlGbaZFEqSK6PSGsvHPKMhoKldSmbqao2cmz1NE_

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I would only need the coupling unit out of the '46. I want to use the original trans to the car if I can get that fluid coupling. 

Theres a trans/engine combo out of a '48 Plymouth that is for sale locally. The owner said he thought it was a three speed. Would that bellhousing and trans bolt up?

On 7/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

Yes it will although a slighter wider ring gear on the 46 ...1/2" versus 3/8" and same tooth count.... no issues with that though.

Hey Dodgeb4ya, local seller has a '52 Hemi out of a dodge car with the trans. I believe it might have the fluid drive unit. Wouldn't that work too if it is a fluid drive unit?

Edited by RamblinMan63

Heck why not buy all of these old mopar parts you have mentioned?? Some will combine to build exactly what you want.

Never know when you may need them as they are getting harder to find or maybe save them for future retirement funds!

DJ

local seller has a '52 Hemi out of a dodge car with the trans. 

If it's really a 52 Dodge, that Hemi is from a different car.  Dodge didn't get a Hemi until 1953.  If the trans. is from a 53, I think it would be Fluid-Torque Drive.  That's the one where an oil change takes 10 to 12 quarts I think.  The same oil is shared by the engine and trans.!

• Like 1

It looks like a fair amount of parts will be coming from him, which is fine. Im glad I can still get parts for this old girl.

If I could not locate a fluid coupling and went with the trans out of a '48 plymouth, what trans did those use? As in did they use a borg warner 3 speed or was it an in house design? Also would I need the plymouths drive shaft?

Thanks a lot guys!

Boy, I love those pics!  If the guys who made the movie Cars didn't have this one as a character, they really missed the boat!  But there seems to be a non-factory item in the first pic.  It looks like some kind of quadruped and it's on what we call in auto tech talk, the cat walk.  Don't mess with the Plymouth 3 speed trans in this.  All DeSotos have the Tip-Toe Shift transmission that came in the Chrysler, Dodge, and DeSoto cars.  I thought I saw that you already have the M-6 trans?  

7 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

Boy, I love those pics!  If the guys who made the movie Cars didn't have this one as a character, they really missed the boat!  But there seems to be a non-factory item in the first pic.  It looks like some kind of quadruped and it's on what we call in auto tech talk, the cat walk.  Don't mess with the Plymouth 3 speed trans in this.  All DeSotos have the Tip-Toe Shift transmission that came in the Chrysler, Dodge, and DeSoto cars.  I thought I saw that you already have the M-6 trans?  

Marc I do have the M6 transmission. Unfortunately I do not have a fluid coupling unit to go with it. The PO sold the fluid coupling out of my car to a local shop who's working on a '49 DeSoto. The shop swapped the coupling because it leaked but now it doesn't and they still have the coupling (out of the '49) laying around.

My plan is to get them to sell me the fluid coupling so I can keep it original. The back up plan, If I can't obtain the coupling would be to get the trans out of that "48 Plymouth. Correct me if I'm wrong but I felt it would bolt up easy and I'd still be keeping it mopar without any fabrication. 

My landlord has a '46 fluid drive desoto. Its totally rotten but its drivetrain is complete. Unfortunately he thinks he's gonna do something with it and I know he won't. The right amount of money might pursue him though to sell me the parts out of it.

Edited by RamblinMan63

I don't think finding another fluid drive unit will be that hard.  Just put out an ad for one.  I myself have a Dodge fluid drive from a 48 Dodge, but it's been sitting out in my backyard for 20 years.  Surface rust.  You might want to give Bernbaum a call.  As he says on his website:

Bernbaum’s now offers on-line buying. But never hesitate to call us if you need help! 800-457-1250 or 617-244-1118 from 9am - 5:30 pm Eastern time.

• Like 1

In your picture showing the right front headlight there is a chrome piece that wraps around from the wheel well to the blinker.

I have the same problem that you have on my 51 DeSoto - it is broken on my car and yours.  I've heard that the 52 DeSoto has the same piece

and I assume that the piece on the left front is the same as the right front.  Let me know if you come across a replacement.

Anyone out there that can help us?