1951 DeSoto Q&A

RamblinMan63

Hello,

My name is Alex and I'm picking up a 1951 DeSoto Custom locally for about $500 bucks. Its a complete car in fair drivable condition. The interior is in decent shape and the glass and body are straight/good condition. I absolutely LOVE it!

I will probably be posting here in regards to this car.  I would like to ask a few questions like identifying what size flat six is in it such as a 236.5/237? Also can  parts like the under chassis master cylinder be gotten ahold of easy or are there MC rebuild kits, also clutch kits, wheel cylinders,  etc? 

Also what is the 'fluid drive' transmission? Seems just like a manual that shifts up and down like an automatic or is there a shift pattern?

I am going to get a shop manual as well .

Thanks!

Edited by RamblinMan63

I have to admit, $500 seems like a lot for that car.

If you can drive it but not sure about the brakes etc ... you just need to pm me  and tell me where it is so I can go look at it   :P

I paid $1800 for mine, maybe too much but was I wanted.

And is a truck, not a desoto. We pay what we think it is worth, $500 is a drop in the bucket.

Looking forward to pics, yeah everything can be replaced and made better.

So $500 is not so bad?

Ive had classic fords and Ramblers from the '60s but a car of this vintage is a first for me. Someone pulled the engine out for whatever reason and left the head of so theres a little rust built up at piston and cylinder wall. Doesn't look like much but i cant turn it over. I will put the six on a stand and check it out.

fluid drive is a coupling system only to a standard transmission...the value of this is that once in gear and rolling you can come to a stop without using the clutch.  Great for city driving.  Shifting you still clutch...you can pull away super good in 2nd....third is sluggish but will still roll on.....

• Thanks 1

You will find as you progress, for this car, you may pay $500 to get stock wheels, not to mention brakes and other goodies.

The initial price is a agreement between to people trading.

If both parties are happy, enjoy ... just saying there will be more to come.

• Like 1

Lots of Fluid Drive ..Tip-Toe Shift etc reading  for those who don't know...?https://www.allpar.com/mopar/fluidrive.html

• Thanks 1

Hello and welcome.

A complete drivable car for $500 is a really good deal I think. I have seen complete basket cases,  I mean sitting on the ground with missing wheels and in need of just about everything priced in the thousands. A running car of this vintage or even older is a plus for sure. Best of luck to you.

John R

Thanks John. Paper work is clear with it being last registered in 2017 I believe. 

What oil would you put in this old girl? Straight 30 weight? It has like 77000 something on the odometer but as long as bearing clearances are within spec there should be no reason to put thicker oil in it as thats sort of a 'band aid' for excessive bearing clearance right?.

If main bearing clearance is excessive didn't people place a brass shim between the shell and bearing cap to make up the excessive space?

If it needs a new master cylinder, just buy one that is already rebuilt from Rock Auto.  They're cheap and they give you about $15 for your core.  I bought one for my 48 DeSoto.  Plus Rock Auto has the rebuilt wheel cylinders too.  Access to the M.C. is through the floor panel on the driver's side.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 1

Re engine size: A good start is by measuring the engine stroke. There is small threaded plug in the cylinder head over cylinder #6. You can insert a small diameter rod, like a wood dowel and measure the full engine stroke. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

the series and serial number stamped on the block above the generator drivers side is your starting point...read this number and start with that as  it will identify ORIGINALITY or SOURCE.  Second, as many of these blocks and a favorite of Ma Mopar is offering one block and bore and two crank/rod combinations...it is as stated a good starting point going by the series number but you can confirm stroke and eliminate the question if a PO did a crank and rod change 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:09 AM, Plymouthy Adams said:

the series and serial number stamped on the block above the generator drivers side is your starting point...read this number and start with that as  it will identify ORIGINALITY or SOURCE.  Second, as many of these blocks and a favorite of Ma Mopar is offering one block and bore and two crank/rod combinations...it is as stated a good starting point going by the series number but you can confirm stroke and eliminate the question if a PO did a crank and rod change 

Kind of like FE ford big blocks. Same block, different rotating assembly. Ive looked around a bit, correct me if I'm wrong but the desoto custom came with the 250 and the Deluxe a 236.5.

and....if you are not the original owner...you are now out to verify what is in your car now.....many over the years has changed engine and internal components and not so recorded for prosperity....you are on a fact finding mission....you can quote any spec but it may not be spec today....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

and....if you are not the original owner...you are now out to verify what is in your car now.....many over the years has changed engine and internal components and not so recorded for prosperity....you are on a fact finding mission....you can quote any spec but it may not be spec today....

Well Im hoping its stock.

The only thing that kind of stinks is someone pulled the head to go through it and left it off unsealed so the pistons have started to rust to the cylinder walls. Im going to pull the pan and un do each rod cap then smack the bottom of the piston, etc to free it up. 

Edited by RamblinMan63

You can tell if it's a 250 because that would be a Chrysler engine and have the name "Spitfire" on the head.  but I'm speaking of 46-50 DeSotos.  The specs may have changed for '51.  Just looked it up.  Yes, the 1951 DeSoto had the 250.6 cu. in. engine.  

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 1:29 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

color me confuse..post one it is fair condition and drivable.   Last post say piston rusted to cylinder and you going to smack them around a bit....do you have a second engine you speaking of...?

This was meant to be in the first post. It is indeed a nice car but the PO took the engine and trans out to go through it preemptively. He never put the head on back on it and some rust has built up in a few cylinders. Sorry about any confusion. 

The block and head on our mopar sixes will have various cast numbers and symbols that really only refer to casting dates and the like, and as the block and/or head may have been sitting for a time before installation in the car its the numbers that really mean anything are those stamped into a machined boss on the drivers side of the block at the top front , above where the generator mounts,  it should be SP something which will indicate the exact model that the engine was issued in....this could be the same as the car or if its been replaced from another vehicle, model, make or year ......andyd