Girls can do stuff

DonaldSmith

In a recent "Hinge Saga" post, I said: 

"I took the hinge strap to the blacksmith at the Smithshop in Highland Park, MI.  She heated the joints and bent the strap back to profile.  ..." 

No one picked up on the blacksmith being a She.  I told the boss that somehow I expected that there would be a woman blacksmith there.  I feel that "Girls can do stuff." after seeing my daughters grow up.   Good at sports, and not afraid to be handy around the house.  One daughter shingled the garage as a teenage project.

Now I have granddaughters to brag about.  One granddaughter will attend Purdue to study aviation, and is getting her flying license now.  Oh, I could go on.  Of course all my children and grandchildren are brilliant, each his (or her) own way.      

I saw it, noticed that your blacksmith is a woman.  Just no big deal to me.  One time when I was in High School I came home from school to find my mom with grease almost up to her elbows, with two old wringer washer transmissions in parts strung across the floor.  She used parts from an old one we had in a shed out back to fix the one she used.  (And it worked, too.)  And my mom always wore dresses, etc - she was the typical Mennonite Momma.

Come to Alaska.  Women up here do everything that a man does.  When I first moved here I hired a company to connect a cabin I built to my septic tank 12 feet down.  Who showed up?  A 17 year old girl that drove the dump truck, excavator and got down and connected the pipes in the sewer.  Did a damn fine job as well.

• Like 1

When I worked in a farm implement manufacturing place, a 17 or 18 year old Amish girl would bring in hames to be power coated.  Once when I had to go to the other end of the shop to get a forklift, by the time I got back she had drug the pallets to the back edge of the trailer, which I was going to do with a tow strap.  I cautioned her about hurting her back, and she said "Well, I put them on there by myself."  (Now she's probably going to the chiropractor all the time, and wondering why her back always hurts.)

Girls can do stuff 

No surprise to me. After 3 daughters, 3 granddaughters, and a couple of greats I can say with confidence:  They can do most anything the want to.  Just like boys, if they don't have the desire, they can't do it.  What was it Henry Ford said?  If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

Our daughter texted us this picture a couple weeks ago - she's going to be a senior at George Washington, and this is her in a rental truck in DC picking up a couch for her apartment. I bought her a cordless drill one Christmas (she's the tech director for a theater company in school).

Wait a minute - that's a GMC steering wheel.....she should know better!IMG_2927.jpeg.b6adf5885671b9cfd74287ad52994c15.jpeg

Back in the early 70's, I went into a barber shop that happened to have a female barber. Was quite novel, at the time. Today, I don't think I can find any male barbers in this area. I've seen females drive huge dump trucks, operate heavy equipment, climb poles for communication equipment, run welders, etc. When a LEO gets out of the police car, and she is only 5 foot 2 inches, I wonder if she can handle a large unruly character, but, I guess she can, or she wouldn't have the job. A gun probably helps her. There is a female usher at church; that always is noticeable when she comes around w/the collection basket. My lawyer is female, so are a couple of my doctors and my dentist. Haven't seen a female plumber yet, but, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised when one finally shows up. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of girls at the controls:

42449733_Paxtonsolo(2).JPEG.312cb17bec32ab8bb760469ac5376ed8.JPEG

Grand daughter Paxton's solo flight.  Flying lessons Spring and Summer, Purdue in the Fall, for aviation technology.   Same ear-to-ear smile that my kids and grand kids had,  before driving age, after taking a spin through the local cemetery, under adult supervision, of course.  Paxton was on her own, but in radio communication with the instructor.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Speaking of girls at the controls:

42449733_Paxtonsolo(2).JPEG.312cb17bec32ab8bb760469ac5376ed8.JPEG

Grand daughter Paxton's solo flight.  Flying lessons Spring and Summer, Purdue in the Fall, for aviation technology.   Same ear-to-ear smile that my kids and grand kids had,  before driving age, after taking a spin through the local cemetery, under adult supervision, of course.  Paxton was on her own, but in radio communication with the instructor.  

Pretty damn impressive! Good for her going after the dream she wants!