Finally running but no brakes.

Jtobin

Hi everyone.

I got this 53 cranbrook last summer. Replaced the entire fuel system due to the previous owner dropping a screwdriver into the gas tank. Cars is running now and I took it for a spin today in the parking lot and discovered it didnt have any brakes. Luckily I wasn't going very fast and rolled to a stop. This is my first classic car and I'm pretty unfamiliar with how the brakes work on the old cars. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

20190619_205515.jpg

The old Lockheed brakes are certainly a little different that what many folks would think of as normal brakes. If you are planning to do your own work I recommend a shop manual, at very least. 

Does your brake pedal travel to the floor when pressed? And no brakes? Any idea how old the brakes are? Last time they worked?

Is there a little circular access plate under the floor carpet on the driver’s side, foot area? In my ‘53 this allows access to the single master cylinder. A 3/4” wrench will open the reservoir cap. Is there any brake fluid in there?

Pull the drums. You’ll need a puller for the rear. Is leaking brake fluid present at each wheel cylinder? Further progress means getting into the wheel cylinders. Pull. Clean. Inspect. Probably buying new is the best option for the cylinders. While you are down there look at the rubber flex brake hoses. Dry and cracking? Those need to go. How do the brake shoes and hardware look? Life left? All the parts there?

The Master cylinder. A vital piece. Pull. Clean. Inspect. Measure. If rebuildable All new internal pieces. Bleed everything.  Rusty old brake lines? Build new ones. 

Then there’s the cursed adjusting. Shoes  must be concentric to the axle. Not easily done without a special tool. When they are set up right they work well. 

A good start. Report back. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard from Oz............these guys know their stuff.............first I'd be getting a Workshop Manual and read it cover to cover, even the things you think you know you'll learn something new, as for the brakes, what Keith says is correct, go through everything.........you mention that you replaced the entire fuel system because a screwdriver was dropped into the tank......why did you replace everything?.......fuel would not have affected the screwdriver........unless it was made of something that was meltable by fuel?.........I'm not trying to be a PITA but honestly I'd be getting the shop manual asap, ideally a paper version, rather than a CD..........the mention of a rear brake drum puller is good advice as the rear drums are held onto the rear axle via that centre nut and a 5/16th keyway......also if its basically stock it should have the left & right handed wheel bolts that screw INTO the drums and should have the letter "L" on the top of the bolts indicating the left handed ones.........I've attached a pic of the puller I have used, you need the biggest one you can find, one that is held onto the drum by 3 of the wheel bolts...........as for rebuilding the brakes, ideally I'd see if you can get the wheel cylinders resleeved with either stainless or brass sleeves or try mopar guys like Roberts or Bernbaums.............so long as the brake lines are in good condition then they should be o/k but its probably good to replace the rubber brake hoses on each front wheel and the rear brake hose that attaches onto the rear axle as these start to perish after a while, also replace the brake shoes either get them relined or Bernbaums I think offer a kit...............regards from Oz.......Andy Douglas     

P1000765 (800x600).jpg