1947 Chrysler - dashboard surprise! OEM knobs?

ebruns1

What a nice surprise!  I finally turned my attention to the dashboard last night.  There was a weird brown coating on all the bake-lite trims on the dash you see in the first photo.  I thought they were all toast but I started cleaning the dash with some industrial de-greaser crud cutter and much to my surprise the brown gunk eventually came off!  Everything looks pretty decent already but I think I will try some polishing compound and see if I can buff them up a bit.  Sadly, the glove box door cover does have the typical cracks in both upper corners.  It is serviceable for now but may have to try some epoxy filler and a re-paint in the future.  Also took off the chrome Kleenex box holder for now.

Question:  The other thing I was not sure about are the control knobs.  Most of the photos I have seen all have labeled control knobs...not the solid chrome ones that I have on mine.  Was this a factory option?  Were there labels that might have peeled off over the years?  How would you know what each knob was for?  Too many to remember without some kind of ID.  Maybe they were replaced at some point who knows...  They do look nice however, so I will keep them!

JT

dash2.jpg

dash1.jpg

Those solid chrome control knobs have been replaced with non original knobs...they should have the labeled knobs knobs...

Those knobs are hot rod aftermarket knobs, maybe SoCal or similar, also check Speedways catalog as I'm pretty sure they sell those as well........BTW I like the flow through floor ventilation option .........lol...........hows the rest of the car re rust?.......andyd........

Mark..........its surprising how many old cars have that ventilation option yet its not mentioned on any list of factory options.........must have been a dealer installation via letting the cars sit uncovered in open paddocks or fields prior to making the trip to the new car lot............lol.........andyd.  

• Like 1

Here are the correct factory Knobs on 1946-48 Chrysler...

C39 dash Knobs.JPG

• Thanks 1

Dodgeb4ya.........whats the "timberliner" script on the dash pic from?...........andyd

7 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Dodgeb4ya.........whats the "timberliner" script on the dash pic from?...........andyd

It's a rare old nameplate off a special order Chevy 4X4 truck from a Montana truck dealer.

I thought it was a good name for the T&C woodie.