230 cu in spark plugs

SteveR

I have a 1950-52 Dodge engine in my 37 Plymouth that has NGKBR6s spark plugs in it. They now need changing but I have always used Champion in my other vehicles and would like to change. Daisy has been changed over to 12 vdc. What is the correct size for my engine?

dang that title is wicked... I had never seen a 230 cu in spark plug before......lol

correct size is 14mm and the correct number can be one of a few depending on core and resistance style plugs...many here including me do not recommend Champion.....Autolite is the preferred….the NGK if the correct length of thread should prove to be a good plug depends again solely on preference.  I like Autolite 306

some listed choices...…(per other threads).....Champion J8, AC R44, AC R45, AC R46, Autolite A7, Autolite 303, Autolite 306, Autolite 85

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. Somewhere in the back of my pea brain I recollect champion went bad at some time., But couldn't remember. What would you recommend?

as stated in my reply, I like the Autolite 306  seems to be the right heat range for my application

in the late 60's early 70's it seemed that for every 8 Champions we put in 2 would fail quickly.  As for tune up we were also jobber stocked with Delco ignition components....you would have about 4 out of 10 condensers go bad even then......we changed to KEM line of ignition products and never experienced another component failure..we also went to Motorcraft (Autolite) plugs

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Heat range was my next question. This engine is stock and looks like it has never been cracked. My compression is around 70-90psi

Steve......I would not use Champion plugs if they were free. Go with the Autolites.

I looked high and low for Autolite and AC spark plugs here in England and came up with nothing unless I want to buy from USA and pay huge freight costs. I can get the NGK here. So I am stuck with those. The car industry in England is geared to European modern cars or older English cars. Tell them you have a 1937 Plymouth and they say right away, 'No we don't stock anything for you.' I seem to remember in Minnesota, 10,000 Auto Part store would say let me check around. Even if it was an English Mini or MG. That doesn't happen here.

I have ruled out Champion, thanks to Plymouthy Adam's humor reminding me about them. It reminded me of my 20's and my 1965 Slant 6 Barracuda where several new plugs went a foul.

This is my 1st classic car and I now am faced with learning old school all over again with the help of a bunch of great guys on this forum who give of their time and experience. Thanks Guys!

Have you tried https://www.rockauto.com/ , shipping costs aren't too bad and import duty's included in their price so nothing to pay when the package lands unlike when using Royal Mail , you could always add a few other small bits, points, condenser, gaskets, etc, to make it more cost effective.

Autolite 306 listed at £1.04 each.

regards........... Simon.

I know here in the US with owning a couple of English cars, some of we owners will jointly order our needed spares and make a package deal where the shipping cost is divided among the members greatly relieving the cost to an individual order.  There are a number of owners in the UK, I would think collectively you folks could also did similar.  Or jut buy a few extras and make it back on UK e-bay