busting rust

Plymouthy Adams

this is from a little newer car than the P15's of this forum but rust is rust...I took a few days from all the other stuff about the house that is always looming over my head to work a bit on the 62 Polara.  These cars are different in many aspects and one is surely it being prone to some rust in odd and often very hard to access areas.  While the hood and deck emblems are unique, they are the single most cause for rust in the hood understructure, deck lid understructure and also the trunk floor especially the large recessed center section.  I decided not to remove the tire stand as all that was solid..after full perimeter weld, the remaining floor pan got a dose of the magic elixir and cleaned up nicely.  Obvious other areas of rust to address.

trunk12.JPG

trunk11.JPG

trunk13.JPG

trunk14.JPG

trunk17.JPG

• Like 2

I appreciate your confidence...but to come to Jersey.....not on my bucket list at this time......best thing is bring it to GA....lol

The next two phase of the trunk pan incorporates repairing damage to the rear cross tie at the back of the trunk....on each side.  The floor pan overlay is your tip off to damage, looking beneath you see the rot....then you also have damage to the trunk extensions.  All in all quite the process to cut out, make the repair sections, weld each section in proper order.  This side is ready now for the application of some primer and then I will weld the overlay that will fix the floor pan that side..

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2635.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

trunk.JPG

other side was completed today just ahead of a possible rain coming through...was pushing to get this frame and trunk extension tied together and some primer on it...

I have three more repairs yet to do in the floor before I button it up and weld in the overlay panels here.  One involves cutting out a brace to fix the floor beneath it and repair the brace metal itself.   These repairs should take care of this car's trunk for some time to come.  I have to come up with a drain of some sort to correct what is a factory design fault in the hood and trunk lids.  The floor damage is pretty bad...the hood and trunk suffers even worse damage...but that is another story.

trunk 31.JPG

trunk 32.JPG

as always, something come up, rain for one, then a trip out of state to pick up an item.  However...after the rain I did cut my patches for the pan.  Remember it's got to look good on paper first...these have been transferred to metal and cut out, fit is just right for welding ..there are eleven spot welds on the one larger patch that anchor the frame rails..so this one is pre-dilled and will install in two pieces for clamp access so I can weld them in proper....

Got other life events preventing me from welding this morning...maybe later this evening...

trunk 33.JPG