jack and spare mount - '46 P15 Club Coupe

Texas Jim

Hello group, am a brand new forum member just discovering the site.  

I own a mostly restored 1946 P15 Special Deluxe Club Coupe, I've had it about 1 year.  I cannot find views where / how the bumper jack mounts in the trunk.

Attached a pic of my spare mount - there doesn't appear to be any spring mount to anchor the jack behind the spare mount bracket... I dunno.  Help?

While I'm at it - that hole in the spare mount bracket is a threaded hole.  My spare was mounted there with an ordinary hex headed bolt.  Doesn't seem right - was it a butterfly headed bolt?

And PS, thanks to some pics I found here, am certain I don't have a correct jack - i have a mopar jack from '60s or '70s - but I think it will be fine, would just like to mount it.  

Thanks, Texas Jim

0.jpg

i posted the same question a while back and got very little response. i still havent figured out the proper storage. however, since then i have managed to find an original jack  for my 48 P15.  i will posta pic tomorrow if i remember to get one.

I believe it was determine it just laid in the back....some however will wedge it between the mount bracket and the tire placing the stand in the well also wedged by fact of it shape.  Other have placed it on the stand with the stand at the back of the car and a spring attached to hold when jacked with light spring pressure.  be careful here not to distort your fender.

My 48 P15's spare tire is mounted by a circular plate (looks like a tiny hub cap) as shown in the attached picture. My P15 came with this way of mounting the spare when I bought it. I believe the spare is the original (or close to it) Goodyear Super Cushion. I don't know if this is the way it came from the factory, but it sure looks like it. I would love to have an original P15 jack, but they appear to be scarce as hen's teeth. I don't have a clue how the jack mounted originally. Hope this helps some...

DSC01896.jpg

Elusive!  I tried to envision a mount behind the bracket, but it would have to be secured somehow or it would cause fender damage for sure.

Cold Blue thank you, I have a similar disc for mounting.  Seems odd just a bolt, but that's what I have mounting mine too.  Hmmm

I have a reprint of the '46 owners manual, it has no view;  nor does reprint of mechanic's shop manual.   I'm on a mission now to find something.

Texas Jim

'46 P15

'23 Dodge Bros Touring

'57 Nash 

• Like 1

I think you going to only find an innovative means to do this...copy someone or devise your own medicine....personally I would only have the jack on display on these old cars....I went this route, display the jack laying on display and fabricated a mount for a scissors jack that will be lots safer in the long run should I have to do an on the road change...stored like this, it is out of the way, out of sight behind the tire and ready when needed.

100_1602.JPG

• Like 1

Here's the hydraulic jack in my DeSoto Suburban.  (Note the Bakelite panel.)  I made a block of wood for the jack to push up against.  

(I have a series of wood blocks hidden under the cargo floor, for placing under the jack, and I printed out some photos on jacking pointts.)  

477393871_jack2015(3).JPG.36debee3bfc7cb8186e64290fdaac1f0.JPG

Wow great solutions!   Ok here's what I came up with for the present (yes I do agree, bumper jack for "show" and not function)

the jack does have room to be pinched in place by the spare tire.  It won't let the inside wheel surface be flush w the mount disc, but my bolt was long enough to thread in and squeeze the tire adequately to hold the jack in place.  The jack base tho' isn't snug at all - just gravity, not real satisfied w that. Since the jack took up space in the well, there no longer is room for the base to tuck very well in front of the tire.

I have my first local show with this car on July 4, this'll have to do for now.  God Bless America! (and old Detroit iron)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is what I found wedged in with the spare in my '48 P15:

jack.jpg.c027c449ea3ab54914f2a6b834f1f643.jpg

Does that look like the jack that would have been delivered with the car? The jack was behind the tire and the wrench and base were wedged in at the outside of the tire. The bolt is the same size as the wrench.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

this pic is for you...…………………………..

Ply tool kit roll.jpg

It appears I have an original bumper jack and wrench...also have the license plate bracket.  

Thank you for the historical info.  :)