Some help on my 1948 D24

48 Dodge Guy

First off, welcome to the Forum.  You've found a good place to haunt, many knowledgeable folks here.  I've had many questions answered here, and as follows, a few generated.  I am interested in what the other two buttons/switches are next to the starter button, as we have a "plain old" D24 four door sedan with just the starter button.  The parking brake warning light in ours (as in most) is a flashing map light, the one centered under the dash.  It may have been discussed herein before, but I've slept since then and don't recall off hand.  The Town Sedans are indeed more scarce than the other models, but I couldn't say if they are "rare" or not, although I've only personally seen three since we got our car, and only a few on this Forum.  I can't help with the heater shut-off, our car was sold new in New Mexico with de minimus heating options, but again, will be interested in responses since our current stomping ground in Maine is a different meteorological animal. 

There is a "pressure off" switch mounted where the parking brake handle holds it open when disengaged.  Once the handle is pulled to engage the parking brake, the switch closes, and sends power through the flasher unit to the map light, making the map light flash.  The ignition switch has to be on for it to work.  The bulb in the map light on our D24 is a dual filament 1158.  It is below the Dodge crest, and above the ignition.  There is a rotary switch to the left that works the dash lights, and one to the right of the light will turn it on, as does opening the passenger side doors, and/or the dome light switch on the driver's side door pillar.  If the parking brake is engaged, and the ignition turned on, the light will still flash when otherwise switched on.  Our car does not have any other flashing lights, i.e., turn signals. 

I'm thinking the car would have to have been built this way, simply due to the dual filament socket that would have to be installed for the map light.

1284849763_BrakeHandleSwitch.JPG.28c7d8abeb4ef4f877ec54012a8fe555.JPG

Apologies for the fuzzy photo, I couldn't get my camera to focus quite right while I was contorted under the dash.  Taken from under the steering column, looking up towards the A-pillar.  The switch is just above right center, the flasher unit is upper left.  That is the tan parking brake handle running from just above center to the lower right.  The wiring diagram in the manual does not show this configuration.

On another note, to go with this thread, the following photo is the heater control valve on our car, conveniently placed in the spot designated by "HEATER" cast into the head.  It has not been hooked up since before we've owned it.  I have no idea whether or not it works, other than working "closed" since we've owned it.  I find it interesting that I do have a "Temp Control" knob between the ignition and the headlight switch, but it was never hooked up to anything, just a knob attached to the dash face.

11183131_HeaterControlValve.JPG.240a3f88b0db2eb49092fae7f609ab98.JPG

And finally, the heater that was in the car when we got it.  The core is good, but it does not have a motor.  My assumption is that was the simplest heater set up one could get, maybe even installed by the dealer.

Heater.JPG.87c80e1fd65b190456c7136cbd7b8e92.JPG

Edited by Dan Hiebert

18 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

First off, welcome to the Forum.  You've found a good place to haunt, many knowledgeable folks here.  I've had many questions answered here, and as follows, a few generated.  I am interested in what the other two buttons/switches are next to the starter button, as we have a "plain old" D24 four door sedan with just the starter button.  The parking brake warning light in ours (as in most) is a flashing map light, the one centered under the dash.  It may have been discussed herein before, but I've slept since then and don't recall off hand.  The Town Sedans are indeed more scarce than the other models, but I couldn't say if they are "rare" or not, although I've only personally seen three since we got our car, and only a few on this Forum.  I can't help with the heater shut-off, our car was sold new in New Mexico with de minimus heating options, but again, will be interested in responses since our current stomping ground in Maine is a different meteorological animal. 

Hey Dan

Thanks for the welcome.

I spoke with my dad last night. He said that he only dimly recalled the switch being there and having never used it the handful of times he drove it. I guess, in part, because it wasn't working. But he seems to think that it was a switch you would turn that would glow red and trigger the single white back-up light by the trunk on the rear right-hand side. Since most cars didn't have back-up lights, he said, at that time this was an option or an after-market addition, likely. And if you turned it on and it glowed red, you would know then to turn it off once you'd backed up.

Sounds plausible to me!

1 hour ago, Frank Elder said:

Now here is a town sedan without the afore mentioned extra knob and jewel.

113013grandpasdodge%20mb9.jpg

113013grandpasdodge%20mb2.jpg

This is pretty much it... although it also doesn't have the windshield washer fluid pump button which mine does.

And I found these on Ebay not too long ago... hoping I could use the red one on my existing socket/switch but it didn't fit  :(  even though the seller said that it would.

dashlights.jpg

Edited by 48 Dodge Guy

16 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

There is a "pressure off" switch mounted where the parking brake handle holds it open when disengaged.  Once the handle is pulled to engage the parking brake, the switch closes, and sends power through the flasher unit to the map light, making the map light flash.  The ignition switch has to be on for it to work.  The bulb in the map light on our D24 is a dual filament 1158.  It is below the Dodge crest, and above the ignition.  There is a rotary switch to the left that works the dash lights, and one to the right of the light will turn it on, as does opening the passenger side doors, and/or the dome light switch on the driver's side door pillar.  If the parking brake is engaged, and the ignition turned on, the light will still flash when otherwise switched on.  Our car does not have any other flashing lights, i.e., turn signals. 

I'm thinking the car would have to have been built this way, simply due to the dual filament socket that would have to be installed for the map light.

1284849763_BrakeHandleSwitch.JPG.28c7d8abeb4ef4f877ec54012a8fe555.JPG

Apologies for the fuzzy photo, I couldn't get my camera to focus quite right while I was contorted under the dash.  Taken from under the steering column, looking up towards the A-pillar.  The switch is just above right center, the flasher unit is upper left.  That is the tan parking brake handle running from just above center to the lower right.  The wiring diagram in the manual does not show this configuration.

On another note, to go with this thread, the following photo is the heater control valve on our car, conveniently placed in the spot designated by "HEATER" cast into the head.  It has not been hooked up since before we've owned it.  I have no idea whether or not it works, other than working "closed" since we've owned it.  I find it interesting that I do have a "Temp Control" knob between the ignition and the headlight switch, but it was never hooked up to anything, just a knob attached to the dash face.

11183131_HeaterControlValve.JPG.240a3f88b0db2eb49092fae7f609ab98.JPG

And finally, the heater that was in the car when we got it.  The core is good, but it does not have a motor.  My assumption is that was the simplest heater set up one could get, maybe even installed by the dealer.

Heater.JPG.87c80e1fd65b190456c7136cbd7b8e92.JPG

Hey there...

Thanks for posting the detailed photos. I haven't checked to see if it flashes on mine or not. My heater looks pretty much like this one. And pictured below is the heater valve unit that I need to find a replacement for OR I understand there was a guy in California who at one time did a rebuild on this thing.

IMG_0039.jpg

6 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Here's a heater valve for the fancy two-unit heater:

298862712_heatervalve(2).JPG.124483c7a493ecd497d4968f1aaf8e50.JPG

It seized up, so I replaced it with a modern unit.  Maybe could have found a better configuration.  Creative plumbing.  Ugly, but it works.

556311811_installation20170822(3).JPG.5785ca85a39fdb64647ecf8951f89782.JPG

Thanks for posting Donald. Looks like that required some ingenuity on your part! I'm looking to keep everything as authentic as I can on mine. I have a call out to a place that might be able to do a rebuild on mine. Fingers crossed!

On 6/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, plymjim said:

Been up on blocks for 40 years?  Please, please, please go through the

brake system before you head out for your first ride.   You don't want

any "surprises". That grille is just too pretty to waste.

Ha!

Thanks Jim. That would kinda go without saying... especially since, when I put my foot on the brake pedal, it went all the way to the floor. We used the parking brake to stop it and secure it during the towing. Since then there has been a rebuild on the master cylinder and new brake lines installed. Once the tires go on we'll know more about the rest!  Thanks for your concern, but my mechanic is pretty diligent about things :) 

I'll be paying attention to your adventures with your heater.  I need to get the heater / defroster working on ours, then I'd like to upgrade it a tad if possible.  I imagine you're in the same boat, I used to work out of Buffalo, and had to go to Oswego on a regular basis, we'd take the Weedsport exit off the Thruway to get there, and I distinctly recall the snow plow blade in the maintenance yard by the toll booths proudly emblazoned with some ungodly amount of snow (over 200" if I recall) several winters ago.  I've got a photo, but it's on a currently corrupted MSD.

The 1946-50 Chrysler's use that same parking brake light/E-brake switch and courtesy light system as factory installed equipment with the dual filament bulb.

I think certain models of DeSoto's did too.

Map E Brake Behind dash Wiring and switches C49 Grn (5).JPG

this is just a wild guess about your extra red light.  The other guys are probably right that it's a rear back up light indicator.  But I thought if that's not it, it could be the button you push to open an after market electric gas cap.  That is if you even have one.  But I think I'm wrong.  Marc.

9 hours ago, MarcDeSoto said:

this is just a wild guess about your extra red light.  The other guys are probably right that it's a rear back up light indicator.  But I thought if that's not it, it could be the button you push to open an after market electric gas cap.  That is if you even have one.  But I think I'm wrong.  Marc.

That would be kind of a neat feature if that were it, Marc... but it's a turn switch... on and off... which had a red jeweled cap. I think what my dad was guessing is probably what it is. You use it to turn on the back up light and turn it off when it's done. Since that wasn't standard equipment, and neither was the windshield wiper fluid button, it stands to reason that those are the two auxiliary features along with the starter button. :) 

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, Dan Hiebert said:

we'd take the Weedsport exit off the Thruway to get there, and I distinctly recall the snow plow blade in the maintenance yard by the toll booths proudly emblazoned with some ungodly amount of snow (over 200" if I recall) several winters ago.  I've got a photo, but it's on a currently corrupted MSD.

Aha, here it is! 

1049841815_Weedsportplow.JPG.7c658e1c86ded73c1dbad8f514b20344.JPG

• 1 year later...

Hey Everyone

A couple of updates regarding my D-24 Town Sedan. It's been up and running for some time now. I get it out when I can and have found it a great pleasure to drive! Kinda tricky to learn how but once I have it in third I pretty much leave it.  It's a lifelong dream come true to finally be behind the wheel. I found a local guy who rebuilt the engine for me and got it running like a top. I used the recommendation for the clutch repair and that worked out great! Thanks!  Turns out the heater works just fine and we didn't have to replace the part my first mechanic thought would need doing.

Here she is in front of my house, new tires and her first bath in forty years!

991360848_483.jpg.489826961834093f7d9c12adbb9c4311.jpg

The good news is - just tonight I finally found that mystery switch! On a fluke I went browsing on Ebay and thought I'd try, yet again, to land a switch for the dashboard. FOUND IT! It was pricey but it's original store stock and it is indeed a switch used to activate the backup light.

804487111_BackUpLight.jpg.11d5c61a0060f3f25f87fbb28773f0f9.jpg

Further evidence that it indeed is what some of you guessed it was. I hadn't seen this site until this evening.

Thanks for all the help initially and the enthusiasm. I'm sure I'll have other questions as I keep tackling new issues. Hope you all have a great holiday season!

Bill

Edited by 48 Dodge Guy
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

I showed the Missus this last picture of your Town Sedan and said " Don't you think its gorgeous ?" and she replied......." Yes what a beautiful house, too bad that car is in the way!".......LOL! 

Ha! I've been working on the house all summer. It's no longer that color (and still not finished!) I'll have to take Bessie's picture in front of the house again come Summer. 

9-15-2020.jpg.fe5fa60c24563a8ca21cd407e28a56e4.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. First time I have seen your thread/story. Awesome looking car with a great story to it. Glad it lives on to be a driver and appreciated. With all the quirky period accessories it deserves to stay largely as original as possible. Look forward to seeing it more in the future ?

• Like 1