1947 Coupe - Are all doors like this? And next problem...

ebruns1

Hello again,

1.  Take a look at my original door upholstery.  On both doors the area to the front of the window crank is destroyed from the window crank rubbing the fabric.  Does this happen on all Chrysler Coups?  I'm going to have to have new door coverings made and I don't want this to happen again.  Is there any secret to stopping this from happening again?  What has worked?

2.  How do I release the opener lever handle from the door?  I pushed back the bezel and there is no pin that I can see to push out like on the window crank.  Does it attach some other secret way?  I hope I don't have to cut them off...

PS - anyone sell new repro door upholstery or is my only choice to have them custom made at a local shop?

20190615_095236_resized.jpg

20190615_095246_resized.jpg

20190615_100811_resized.jpg

Edited by ebruns1
forgot to add follow up question to topic

Sure that's typical wear on a high mileage Chrysler 72 year old car...my 1946 Ny'er 3 pass cpe. is just as worn. The very thin old fabric comes loose from the panel.

Unlikely but possible  the  handles are slightly bent inward....

Whoever makes new door panels needs to be sure they are flat against the door or the handle rub issue will be back....

Sorry to say no one makes new upholstered pieces for any 1946-48 Chrysler's.

I've never seen a 46-48 Chrysler that does not have the 1/8" handle retaining pin.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

My ‘38 is knackerd in the same spot. Around the window winder. If re-upholstering perhaps a different thinner backing board would offer more clearance between the window winder, and the door panel upholstery? 

Here's the problem...my inner part was broken so when I was looking straight down on the hub I thought it was meant to be that way.  I eventually was able to maneuver the handle, hold the flashlight and push the retaining pin out.  Thanks for all the advice! 

One crisis avoided...on to the next one!  My driver side door arm-rest will not come off!  the screw on one side just turns...the U-nut must have broken off and is just spinning inside the door.  Any tips for this or is it going to be pulling out the sawzall and getting the blade behind it to try and cut it off?  It doesn't look like I can get a grinder inside the housing to remove the head.  Don't know what else to try....

20190615_165339_resized.jpg

I don't know if Plymouth (mine is a 46) is the same as your Dodge, but I would imagine it is the same fastener,  so if you have a hole through the door panel into the inside of the door, you should be able to get a vice grip on it, and might still get the screw to come out.  (On mine it protrudes enough, and has flat sides.)

8 hours ago, ebruns1 said:

Here's the problem...my inner part was broken so when I was looking straight down on the hub I thought it was meant to be that way.  I eventually was able to maneuver the handle, hold the flashlight and push the retaining pin out.  Thanks for all the advice! 

One crisis avoided...on to the next one!  My driver side door arm-rest will not come off!  the screw on one side just turns...the U-nut must have broken off and is just spinning inside the door.  Any tips for this or is it going to be pulling out the sawzall and getting the blade behind it to try and cut it off?  It doesn't look like I can get a grinder inside the housing to remove the head.  Don't know what else to try....

20190615_165339_resized.jpg

Just drill or grind the head of the screw off..

• Like 1

It's off!  I jammed a screwdriver handle under the side that the screw came out and then I just cut through the bolt with a long sawzall blade.  Cut like butter!  So here's an odd question follow up.  Almost 100% certain this is the original interior.  Each of the front arm rests were held on with a flat head screw in the rear hole and a phillips screw in the front hole!  Do you think someone swapped out the front screws at some point?  And why would they not swap out the rear screw while they were at it?  Very strange!