1948 Pilot house transmission swap

Swapping to the 727 will probably also mean swapping out the rear diff since you lose the park brake off the end of the trans.  Now, there were some 727's that did come with a park brake on them.  The last one I saw that way, I think was bolted to the back of an International 446 engine out of an RV chassis so the bolt pattern may be different, and it's a possibility they were used on Dodge powered RV's as well.

You do gain the parking pawl on any later (post 65?) 727.  A parking brake is a great idea and kind of a safety necessity but on my automatic trans vehicles the parking brake cables usually seize from not being used before they need adjustment. 

Better term should have been emergency brake.  I like the idea of a backup brake syst em, even if not as efficient as a vehicle's hydraulic system and I'm also sure most vehicle inspectors will expect to find one there as well.   Parking brake cables can usually be activated in an emergency and will work to some extent, problem is they don't want to release when they are not used on a frequent and regular basis.

Pat McGuire makes an adapter for the gm stuff. Keep in mind that alot of stuff get changed/removed/modified when you get rid of the oem bellhousing/trans.

When you see Pat's gm adapter prices the TorqueFlite adapters (ebay pieces or mine) will look pretty good.

The one (2?) on ebay are truly unique pieces and are normally found on airport tugs from the 'old' days. If I wasn't trying to reduce inventory I'd buy both in a heart beat.

21 hours ago, wayfarer said:

Pat McGuire makes an adapter for the gm stuff. Keep in mind that alot of stuff get changed/removed/modified when you get rid of the oem bellhousing/trans.

When you see Pat's gm adapter prices the TorqueFlite adapters (ebay pieces or mine) will look pretty good.

The one (2?) on ebay are truly unique pieces and are normally found on airport tugs from the 'old' days. If I wasn't trying to reduce inventory I'd buy both in a heart beat.

I thought that eby piece was from a tug.  I seem to recall that the valve body in those TFs were full manual shift.  I wonder if one could be adapted to a 'normal' TF?

This may have already been mentioned - if you lose the drive shaft connection to the rear end, you also lose the Parking pawl, and the rear transmission drum brake. It happened to me with my 53 Dump truck, Air pressure down, meant - no brakes at all. Long story.  Charlie Stephenson