46-48 Chrysler trunk brake light lens removal?

ebruns1

Need some help fellas!

My original center brake light housing cracked (don't ask - dumb mistake using a front end loader to push into garage!).  So I bought a nicer replacement off Ebay except for the lens on the new one is cloudy and has some hair line cracks showing.  Here's the problem...It looks like the lens is a press fit into the housing.  I'm afraid to squeeze it on the side too much in fear of cracking the two curved ends of the plastic lens.  Anyone have any tips on removing this?  Also it the rubber gasket is pretty much dried and cracked does anyone make replacements or do I have to use clear caulk to try to keep it waterproof?  Thanks for any suggestions!

JT

20190613_103354_resized.jpg

20190613_103409_resized.jpg

Edited by ebruns1

You do have to push in the ends to remove the lens.

There is a gasket for the lens... call Dennis Bickford in La Luz, NM... he sells 1946-50 Chrysler Town and Country  Chrysler specialty parts....

He shows a replacement extrusion  brake lens gasket in his 2014 parts catalog.. 

Phone# 575-443-1160

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I do not recall any of these using a factory gasket......you can fit one if you wish.....just do not block the drain hole as shown if you go this route …..

Both mine have what looks to be factory gaskets.  I"m sure the lens has never been removed from either the old one or the replacement. 

Oh Boy  Tim ....

Please forgive me for posting this:wacko:  ......  

but the 1946-48 Chrysler cars do use a stop light body to trunk lid mounting gasket as shown ...

You are failing the Chrysler stop light housing knowledge test  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will start all over next fall?

C38 C39 Stop lamp housing gasket.JPG

• Like 1

you got that right...failed failed failed....gotta be that high line car....first one I have seen....I have seen home made ones on these cars (Plymouth/Dodge) ..guess you do get a few things extra with that higher price you pay.....lol..

thanks for the picture....supper was crow tonight....

IMO you're still top dog Tim! ?

Thanks for all the information and mis-information!  haha

I'm still a bit scared to try bending that old 70+ yr. plastic to get it out of the housing...I can envision it cracking in my hands as I push in the ends.  Has anyone here actually tried this with any success?  I guess I'll try removing the one from the broken housing first.  If the good lens cracks then I am stuck with the faded and cracked lens already in the replacement housing...

I have removed/replaced several with no issues.

22 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you got that wrong.....

Old sailor never die, they smell that way naturally.!

glad I was never a sailor...

I was reading something about WWII uboats and how they had no provision for bathing. They would go back to port 6months later wearing the same clothes they left in.....