AC option?

pflaming

Vintage Aire has an A/C unit for the VW Beetle sedan which has a 30 hp engine. Our 218/230 engines have Round 98 hp. The cubic inch space in a truck would be less than in a VW. I’m going to research this for my B3B.  Once I have the S10 T5 transmission in, it will be easy to maintain rpms to power that compressor, I am thinking. 

Comments Welcomed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that there are lots of electric compressors from Toyota Prius on eBay.  I wonder if someone who knows more than I do could cobble up an ac that wouldn’t depend on our 6’s for power.  Perhaps couple it to the underdash units that are available.

james

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I notice that there are lots of electric compressors from Toyota Prius on eBay.  I wonder if someone who knows more than I do could cobble up an ac that wouldn’t depend on our 6’s for power.  Perhaps couple it to the underdash units that are available.

james

A lot more complicated than one would think.  The compressors are 3 phase AC voltage provided by an on-board inverter.  I don't know what the input DC voltage is, but I'm sure it is more than 6/12v.

Hi,

thanks for the input.  I’ll see what I can find as well.  I have a vintage air for my 69 Torino fastback. They really work well.

james

The VW kit I saw advertised online has a rotary compressor that is claiming to only use 1.5 HP.  I am guessing  it would work just fine and not be a burden if that number is true.  The only other problem to solve might be cooling efficiency loss due to blocking the radiator with the condenser.  Other than that I don't see why something like that little Beetle system wouldn't cool down a truck cab - it's claiming 13K BTU and 290 CFM of air exchange.

Since I live in the desert, I am intrigued by the possibility of AC.  If you do go down the path please post updates and photos, I would love to see it.

Hi. 

Have a 39 Ply coupe which gets very hot inside.  Has anyone converted the emergency brake hub into a pulley to power an AC compressor.  Would keep under hood clean and wouldn't expect as much drain on engine.  Downside, would need modern rear with emergency brake and would only work when car is moving

Richard

I mentioned in another thread that air is in my long term plans for my 56 PU.  It will be a homegrown system using a 60s/70s style under dash unit with a little compressor from a Tracker.  It was on a 1600cc engine an is a very efficient unit.  I expect it to be much cheaper that a package from the after market.  Search eBay , there are a lot of options in evaporator units.

• Thanks 1