woodgraining

woodrow

while summer is here , or at least approaching, i cant help but to plan out the work i plan on doi g to my 48 P15 over the inevitable winter months.  One task which I plan on accomplishing is to restore my dash with a woodgrain finish. Right now its painted and while it looks good it is not what I want for my car. I will likely not try to replicate the original look which is nice but a bit dreary. I will probably chase after a more reddish and brighter finish. some ideas i had were to use a vinyl wrap but not if it comes out looking cheap. ive also been looking at actual woodgraining techniques but am not sure if i can accomplish a good look. curious as to what some of you might have done in your pursuit of a restored woodgrain finish.

Casper, how does the hydro dip hold up over time as to scratches, etc? Is it hold up as well as painted woodgrain?

Pete

also having mine hydro dipped. Dipper did two tests one on a gray primer back ground one on a white back ground. difference was very noticeable

hydo dipping should hold as well as paint, as it has a clear coat applied over the top.

Edited by LazyK

MIne has held for 2 years.  Clear coat on top.  No one has scratched it yet but I don't think anyone but me has touched the dash. lol.   I tried 4 different color primers on one scrap piece of steel.  Primer makes a huge difference in final color.

I used the Grain It Technologies (GIT) http://woodgraining.com for my 1950 dash and the window and windshield garnishes.

I found it easy and fun to do.  I'm happy with the results.  Not show quality but fine for my purposes.

Wish the rest of the project would go as well as this.

i have to spend some time looking at this hydro dipping. i really like the result in the first set of pics posted and thats pretty much the look i would like to accomplish. i also will be reading through"woodgraining thoughts" as i see somebody has ressurected the thread. i have about 4 months before the far gets put away and want to be ready to go by then with whatever method i decide on. thx for all the input and pls keep it coming!

My dash had rust spots and large scratches. I sanded it down to bare metal, primer and gave it a base beige spray then after doing some research on airbrush techniques, gave it a try .... after all, if I messed up I could always sand it down and start over. Sanding and priming took a day. Base color took a day. Practice with the airbrush on those days (on scrap) and while drying. Airbrush graining took a day and then clear coat (2k). Did the dash and the windshield interior frame at the same time for color/technique consistency. Here are some pics of the dash I did with an older spare I had. If you would like a write up on the colors and technique, let me know and I’ll document it. I also wanted a little redder and brighter finish. 

6389DEEA-73C5-4A43-8A59-768EACE0B0B2.jpeg

524B3039-44F5-41D2-B56C-6C3BD4C2D878.jpeg

899DCEFC-E70F-426D-AAEA-7D7CB6984EC8.jpeg

• Like 5

My brother did some woodgraining back when we were both still single, and working on our cars side by side in Dad's shop (1980, his 49 DeSoto & my 46 Plymouth).  He did my dash, but we didn't finish the rest of the parts, and the paint that was used has long since dried up or been thrown out, so to match it, I'll need to start over. 

But I want mine to look as close as possible to the original color & grain pattern, or I will simply choose a solid color to paint those parts.  (I don't think I would choose the body color, but rather a darker shade of the same color, as an accent, or to complement the body color.  In my case, this would be a dark green, and I would make it match the leather sections of the arm rests covers, which were already originally dark green.)

8 hours ago, JSabah said:

If you would like a write up on the colors and technique, let me know and I’ll document it. I also wanted a little redder and brighter finish. 

Beautiful work and a summary of your technique would be appreciated. The metal in the interior of my P15 was painted body color many years ago, I must decide whether of not to go back to the wood grain.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

19 hours ago, JSabah said:

My dash had rust spots and large scratches. I sanded it down to bare metal, primer and gave it a base beige spray then after doing some research on airbrush techniques, gave it a try .... after all, if I messed up I could always sand it down and start over. Sanding and priming took a day. Base color took a day. Practice with the airbrush on those days (on scrap) and while drying. Airbrush graining took a day and then clear coat (2k). Did the dash and the windshield interior frame at the same time for color/technique consistency. Here are some pics of the dash I did with an older spare I had. If you would like a write up on the colors and technique, let me know and I’ll document it. I also wanted a little redder and brighter finish. 

6389DEEA-73C5-4A43-8A59-768EACE0B0B2.jpeg

899DCEFC-E70F-426D-AAEA-7D7CB6984EC8.jpeg

that is a really great look you have accomplished there. i am certain a write up would be MUCH appreciated by all. Im interested in the types of paint that you used. great job!

A long time ago a young Hispanic gentleman who belongs to or simply owns a La Familia license topper did his White D-24 4 door Sedan in a beautiful  Burl wood grain. It looked no where near stock but was the most gorgeous dash I had seen in a long time.

I wish I could remember his name to show you the pictures....he was making a Bomba { a type of low rider with every stock accessary known to his year car...] low with a stock paint job. It is a beautiful example of one of our cars.

Does anyone remember him? I cannot search for him because all these so called improvements to the forum format have eliminated access to the Alphabetical Listing for members.

Edited by Frank Elder

JSabah............that work on the dash using an airbrush is SERIOUSLY NICE.......an absolute credit to you.......... and Frank, that white D24 is also a beautful example of  a Bomba with exceptionally nice woodgrain..........great work on both cars.............andyd

• 4 months later...