beat the heat

Plymouthy Adams

• 3 weeks later...

Just right here in the near Seattle area foothills...77 degrees 65 % humidity..just right

and as the song goes....the bluest  skies you'll ever see are in Seattle?

1 minute ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Just right here in the near Seattle area foothills...77 degrees 65 % humidity..just right

and as the song goes....the bluest  skies you'll ever see are in Seattle?

My brother lived in Seattle for a couple of years back in the late 70's, and I remember that once he said "This year is special, because Summer falls on a weekend".

And now we have a drought! Global warming here.

No humidity issues here though.

• 2 weeks later...

Was mowing the lawn yesterday, temps in the upper 90's, and humidity in the 90's as well, and for the first time in my life, I felt woozy and had to sit down immediately for fear of falling over. Getting old isn't for sissies, as they say. ?

I recently listened to Bob Uecker talking about how they would deal with the heat back when he was playing baseball. They would have a tub full of cabbage, or lettuce, leaves in ice water. They'd take a leaf and put it up under their cap to keep cooler when on the field. 

Getting overheated is no fun.. When I was working construction I got overheated a few times. A couple of times I just threw up and got over it pretty fast. A few years ago on a nice, sunny hot August afternoon I was laying brick on the west side of a house, got overheated, threw up, and decided it was time to quit for the day. It was all I could do to stay awake on the trip home and tossed my cookies in the truck floor, too. When I got home I laid down on the kitchen floor with a fan pointed at me trying to cool off. It's scary to have your fingers and toes, hands, arms, and legs curl up and not be able to do anything about it other than grit your teeth and take the pain. I remember all the "old guys" saying you can't take the heat as well after you get seriously overheated. I don't know if that's true but I've been much more cautious since that experience.

Just remembered this one. Early '80's I hired a skinny redneck bricklayer who'd had heart surgery. We were working on a job that summer and he said he was feeling funny and needed to go sit in the shade for a minute. I told him to go right ahead because if he keeled over dead he'd be found sitting behind the wheel of his pickup on the side of the interstate. No way was he gonna die on one of my jobs!!

Some of you may remember these on the job site or a Morton Salt tablet dispenser...

755075015_salttabetdispenser.JPG.a27c9852a7fd68ae800f4610b2e6f01b.JPG

Can affirm that once you have a "heat injury", especially a heat stroke, the more susceptible you are thereafter.  I worked many years in the southwest, in a dark uniform, out in the sun, often afoot, and far from any shade.  I've never had an issue, but co-workers did, and we had to keep an eye out for them forever afterwards.  Heat stroke can be deadly, I know two agents who died on duty because of it.  Key is to stay hydrated, and don't overdo the physical effort.  Sweating and overheating are two different animals, if you aren't cooling off from sweating, its time to slow down or stop.  If you suddenly stop sweating, you're in trouble and may need medical help.  Some are more susceptible than others.  And you can drink too much water.  Too much water without nutrients (i.e. electrolytes) will cause the body to start breaking down its own proteins, if not addressed quickly, it can lead to death.  That's how one of those agents died.    

18 minutes ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Can affirm that once you have a "heat injury", especially a heat stroke, the more susceptible you are thereafter.  I worked many years in the southwest, in a dark uniform, out in the sun, often afoot, and far from any shade.  I've never had an issue, but co-workers did, and we had to keep an eye out for them forever afterwards.  Heat stroke can be deadly, I know two agents who died on duty because of it.  Key is to stay hydrated, and don't overdo the physical effort.  Sweating and overheating are two different animals, if you aren't cooling off from sweating, its time to slow down or stop.  If you suddenly stop sweating, you're in trouble and may need medical help.  Some are more susceptible than others.  And you can drink too much water.  Too much water without nutrients (i.e. electrolytes) will cause the body to start breaking down its own proteins, if not addressed quickly, it can lead to death.  That's how one of those agents died.    

Doc told me that I was as close to death as I'd ever be, just short of that final step. I sure felt like it.. ?

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

US ARMY...take three salt tablet and press on....

When I was in pilot school in Enid, Oklahoma, all of us student pilots had white salt rings on the backs of our flightsuits from sweating so much. It would hit  135 degrees, and higher,  regularly on the flight tarmac. There were salt tablet dispensers everywhere. We were young, and just kept on truckin'.  ?

On 7/17/2019 at 7:30 PM, hi_volt said:

Tucson was 109 yesterday, and 114 in Phoenix.  We're having our monsoon season so the humidity is getting up there.

We never had a house with AC when I was growing up in Tucson, just had a “swamp box” for cooling. That week or two between when the moisture started to go up  but the summer rains were yet to start was the worst.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:33 AM, Dodgeed said:

Was mowing the lawn yesterday, temps in the upper 90's, and humidity in the 90's as well, and for the first time in my life, I felt woozy and had to sit down immediately for fear of falling over. Getting old isn't for sissies, as they say. ?

While in college I had a job with the Arizona Highway Department as a “summer engineering aide”. Worked on a survey crew all summer in the desert sun and heat. The hottest and most miserable time I had that summer was in late August or early September when I stepped off the plane in Rochester, NY to 90°F with 90% humidity and just melted.