Rear shocks

JSabah

• 1 month later...

I ordered the rear shocks from Andy Bernbaum and I don't think they are correct.  My old shocks have an extended length of 21.5" and the ones I received have an extended length of 19.5" (both have the same compressed length of 12").  I don't think I can get them on and if I did they would be in tension all the time. Thoughts or advice please ... Thanks, Josh 

PS. Ill call Bernbaum in the morning but wanted to get a head start with all the knowledge out there. 

46 minutes ago, JSabah said:

I ordered the rear shocks from Andy Bernbaum and I don't think they are correct.  My old shocks have an extended length of 21.5" and the ones I received have an extended length of 19.5" (both have the same compressed length of 12").  I don't think I can get them on and if I did they would be in tension all the time. Thoughts or advice please ... Thanks, Josh 

PS. Ill call Bernbaum in the morning but wanted to get a head start with all the knowledge out there. 

I can't find specs on a station wagon.  But, here is a link to the specs on sedan shocks.  Seems to match what you have.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=60159&cc=124607&jsn=381&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbkEUk86%2BAYIh%2F8vGRbRbhjsCasCj0GDdkbyZaWRra1d2NhiFvl%2BLog%2FoM%2FBflmaQCQjslFHx8ekdlD7fdWyJip8UeVvd7KcZNFHazka%2FDzQz%2FEo0Zqxfyq%2FhVxm3u42gcZFTU8optuWJ64UA1tklmAuOIZsPwZgNWeW3ShwdzcK%2BZ8ZOX%2F9DPAQCBFFOKRV53hR5QrkAIWXiJpdqHYXsh6Z%2BFf6A4lhxDRa6DLF10zhoOuM13ou8IWx4CRejperQtw4rJftkCw0bGEn7WUwUebXr9CBxdsiL%2BmE%2FCdRpNysf

Edit, here is a link for 50 suburban shock specs.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=60159&cc=124607&jsn=381&_nck=ZExt1ysfqhqWnq%2BEvUNdS3Txyey60IDtnjPWF5UU9J0BWQv7pvqZbkEUk86%2BAYIh%2F8vGRbRbhjsCasCj0GDdkbyZaWRra1d2NhiFvl%2BLog%2FoM%2FBflmaQCQjslFHx8ekdlD7fdWyJip8UeVvd7KcZNFHazka%2FDzQz%2FEo0Zqxfyq%2FhVxm3u42gcZFTU8optuWJ64UA1tklmAuOIZsPwZgNWeW3ShwdzcK%2BZ8ZOX%2F9DPAQCBFFOKRV53hR5QrkAIWXiJpdqHYXsh6Z%2BFf6A4lhxDRa6DLF10zhoOuM13ou8IWx4CRejperQtw4rJftkCw0bGEn7WUwUebXr9CBxdsiL%2BmE%2FCdRpNysf

Edited by kencombs

Check with NAPA. If I'm not mistaken they have

original equipment shocks for most of our cars.

You can most likely match something up at the

counter rather than the hassle of mail order.

I’ll check wit Napa in the morning....

i dont understand what is meant by “

BTW, it's normal for the rear end to hang lower than the shocks when they're not installed.

If I tried to install the shorter shocks, I’d have to put weight in the car to depress the body/rear axle - then when the weight is released is seems that it would stress the shock....that doesn’t seem right

11 hours ago, JSabah said:

I’ll check wit Napa in the morning....

i dont understand what is meant by “

BTW, it's normal for the rear end to hang lower than the shocks when they're not installed.

If I tried to install the shorter shocks, I’d have to put weight in the car to depress the body/rear axle - then when the weight is released is seems that it would stress the shock....that doesn’t seem right

Your old shocks are 2" longer than the replacements, according to the specs I linked above.  That shouldn't require any weight to depress the springs to mid-point of the shock travel.

Unless your 49 takes different shocks than the 50, or the linked specs are wrong it seems you have the correct shock.

What I meant by the quoted statement is this:  Most people install shocks with the car raised off it's tires.  When you remove the old shock the axle will droop further, as it's being held up by the shock.  It will be necessary to raise the axle to install the new shock.  That doesn't stress the shock, unless you do some movie car chase scene jumps!