Larkin.19

Hey guys,

So I decided to take off my tires today to look at the brakes, and didn't realize that the studs are reversed on the driver's side of the car. We managed to punch them out, and went to get replacements, but the replacements don't fit, and all the websites come up with the same studs that don't fit when I search by make/model. Used the number from the parts book and they gave me the same ones. Wondering what type they might be and where i could get some? 

Larkin..........what do you mean"punch them out".........on the drivers side they are Left Hand Thread, 1/2" UNF and  right hand thread 1/2" UNF on the passenger side.............so why don't the replacements fit?............if it were me, I'd replace both sides with 1/2 UNF wheel studs, you should be able to get ones from any full size mopar or even Ford studs, there are various lengths available, I have used Ford studs over the years when I made spacers and adaptors for the Dodge as all Oz Valiants sold here in Oz used 7/16th UNF and were too small...........as the stock mopar hub is 1/2 UNF I found Ford studs that were 9/16th at the knurled or splined area and of the right length then just pressed them into the hubs from the inside after using a 1/2" drill to remove the mopar threads.........if you have any concern regarding the studs coming undone give them a couple of tack welds to the hub which is cast steel........and then just use Ford wheel nuts to attach the wheels........worked for me .....Andy Douglas  

9 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Larkin..........what do you mean"punch them out".........on the drivers side they are Left Hand Thread, 1/2" UNF and  right hand thread 1/2" UNF on the passenger side.............so why don't the replacements fit?............if it were me, I'd replace both sides with 1/2 UNF wheel studs, you should be able to get ones from any full size mopar or even Ford studs, there are various lengths available, I have used Ford studs over the years when I made spacers and adaptors for the Dodge as all Oz Valiants sold here in Oz used 7/16th UNF and were too small...........as the stock mopar hub is 1/2 UNF I found Ford studs that were 9/16th at the knurled or splined area and of the right length then just pressed them into the hubs from the inside after using a 1/2" drill to remove the mopar threads.........if you have any concern regarding the studs coming undone give them a couple of tack welds to the hub which is cast steel........and then just use Ford wheel nuts to attach the wheels........worked for me .....Andy Douglas  

What I meant by punching them out was using a punch and metal mallet hammer to drive them out the back of the hub. I was thinking that these might be some off-brand ones that aren't made anymore. I'll post a picture later when I can

10 hours ago, Andydodge said:

i think Dodge used pressed in studs and Plymouth used the lug bolts.

• Like 1

Yukon, thanks......I'd forgotten that this difference has been mentioned in other threads.......here in Oz as far as i am aware all "local" mopars, Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto & Chrysler had the screw in bolts up until this feature was finally dropped.............andyd  

Yep..........tho' some genuine ones came in over the years......the trick is to know what it is you actually have........lol..........andyd

• 9 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:38 AM, Andydodge said:

Andyd, what does UNF stand for?

Thanks,

Donnie T

O/k........forget about that metric crap..........we have feet at the end of our legs, not metres......lol.........UNF is Unified Fine, UNC is Unified Coarse...both refer to the size or pitch of the actual thread.........so a 1/2" UNF bolt is a fine threaded bolt, 1/2'in shank diameter.........but a 1/2" AF or Across Flats bolt will generally only have a shank or bolt diameter of 5/16th but could be either fine, UNF or coarse, UNC thread..........spanners and sockets are sized in the head or AF size........and depending on the usage , whether they are mild steel, high tensile, stainless or whathaveyou and whether they screw into or bolt on something that has to undo or never fail then the fine or coarse thread will be used............its worth having a thread gauge in your toolbox and a list or common thread and bolt sizes on hand..........but throw every metric bolt out of the garage.........lol...........then of course theres those bastard English sizings............Whitworth, BSF, BSW, BSP and off course the English motorcyclists friend, the British Bike Threads...........lol...............regards, andyd      

If the drums and studs are original the studs are swedged and are supposed to be cut loose from the drum and hub with a special swedge cutter.

The drum and hub is usually damaged by  beating the OE studs out.

Maybe D24's are not swedged ? 

Replacing wheel hub studs on modern stuff is easy...old not so as cataloging for some parts is so wrong.