Engine locked

3 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

what James said...frozen valves can also contribute.  FEF's engine was "frozen" (would only turn a little), having 4 valves stuck wouldn't let it turn over.  pull starting or forcing can sometimes damamge things worse than just checking things over and being patient.  My nephew wanted to pull start FEF, would have meant things broken in the engine if we had tried.

Is this the same nephew that stepped on the running board.

Just a quick update: we attempted to remove the manifold today and had to use a bolt extractor on most of the nuts that were so rusted we couldn’t get a bite on the bolt. After removing the bolts the manifold is stuck and not budging at all I tried a putty knife and moved it about 1/8 inch but not moving it won’t even rock to help move it.  Considering all I see I think the engine needs to come out. I have never run into any motor that fights as much as this one. 

13 is not the number I found. I found 11 including the double secret one on the bottom. It looks like I missed the two long ones in the center but will check tomorrow. Thanks for the count number and the pic that helps a lot. 

Well this is the reason I couldn’t find the last 2 bolts. Not sure you can see from the pics but the heads are almost gone. Trues to get a socket on and no luck. I’ll try to drill then out over the weekend. 

95647C70-0201-4C94-B6E7-854689B493B6.jpeg

BF80BC8F-E81D-435C-A264-C4813CD4E956.jpeg

• Sad 1

Is the engine "freed-up" yet?  With the front clip off I still recommend pulling timing chain cover and taking timing chain off.  Biggest bugaboo here might be getting the crank shaft pulley off.  Mine was tapped for 3/8-16 puller bolts but through the thin pulley.  I would use nuts on the back side of the pulley also to prevent stripping out the holes. Then see if valve train, and /or crank shaft will rotate.  If crank will not rotate, pull transmission and see what rotates.  Then go from there.  As I said above, in my case, others were convinced my engine was seized.  Since there was no drive shaft installed the first thing i did was pull the transmission and got lucky.  The trans was seized and the engine was free to the point was able to start it. My expeiriences and my 2 cents.  Regards