Hello, an introduction

!952Cambridge

Just wanted to tell you all hello.

I have a 1952 Plymouth Cambridge 4 door that is in pretty good shape, I do not know a lot about the history of this car but I have had it going on two years now. I found this site looking for information on the cowl vent removal and joined after finding a wealth of information on it, well enough for me to get the job done. 

I am in New Hampshire so only get to drive the care from mid May though early November. I am not a purest,  It is a pretty much stock car that has not been restored but runs, drives and stops well. My next step will be to try to take up some steering wheel play. I'll post a picture or two.  I have a question as to what are all the P numbers refered to in some of the posts? what would be the P number for this car?

Thanks for having this forum.

James

IMG_20180614_200218625.jpg.80f5865fca1d9e32668ca21004e03d7c.jpg

IMG_20180614_200108543.jpg.de9e32eecb6993561a742641d763a660.jpg

Edited by !952Cambridge
remove a double photo
  • Like 2

P** number means Plymouth and the ** is the two digits that is the series.  Your car is a P23.....your engine if original will have P23-XXXXXX on a raised pad forward on the block and above the generator below the head/block cut line

PS where are my manners, welcome....clean looking machine.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

James......... Welcome Aboard from Oz.......these guys know their stuff............you mention having some steering wheel play..........do you have a Workshop Manual, ideally a paper version which allows you to leaf through it and generally absorb all the info..........and as Plymouthy says, that is a clean, neat and tidy looking car...........regards from Oz......Andy Douglas 

Hi Andy, 

I do have a service manual for the car it isn't a paper one but it is a complete PDF I see there are two adjustment to make on the steering box, all my ball joints, tie rod ends, drag links and associated parts are in good shape, There isn't an obscene amount of play but more then there should be. You have quite the stable full of cars.  Thanks for the reply

Jim 

Welcome to our slice of Mopar here. Tons of help here. I too bought my first old car, a 1953 Chrysler  2 years go. I found this forum and have been here many times a day, every day, ever since. 

Your Plymouth looks very nice. I suspect it has the  218.1 CI engine?

19 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

P** number means Plymouth and the ** is the two digits that is the series.  Your car is a P23.....your engine if original will have P23-XXXXXX on a raised pad forward on the block and above the generator below the head/block cut line

PS where are my manners, welcome....clean looking machine.

Right where you said it would be, the engines sure set down low in this model. 

637606711_p23badge.jpg.0cb34652ddfe8d3cd9eadc591a0eac45.jpg

138565009_enginebatside.jpg.99c8e4b4cbaba25bc9cb0dbf8f811bb4.jpg

Edited by !952Cambridge

58 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Welcome to our slice of Mopar here. Tons of help here. I too bought my first old car, a 1953 Chrysler  2 years go. I found this forum and have been here many times a day, every day, ever since. 

Your Plymouth looks very nice. I suspect it has the  218.1 CI engine?

Thanks Keith, yes I to have been back every day more then a few times since I found the site ,, Yes I am pretty sure it is the stock engine from the looks of things under the hood , the aire breather still has a decal on it.

James - Hello, and welcome to the Forum!  I'm "just up the road a piece" from you over in Maine, I share your pain with the limited driving season we have - the silver lining being that we have time to tinker with our cars over the winter.  Looks like you have a mostly original car, a nice one for sure.  There are a few threads herein on steering that may cover what you're seeking to address, just make sure something actually needs fixing before tearing into it.  Our D24's steering is per all the specs, but it still wanders around these weather beaten New England roads.   Our next "fix" is with something not available when the car was new - radial tires, vs. the bias plies that are currently on it.