230 flywheel

dr47

is the 1956 plymouth 230 fly wheel the same as  the early 230 dodge fly wheel , will six bolt flywheel bolt on the 8 bolt flange. and can i still use my bell housing  ,clutch and pressure plate from my 218 plymouth. thank you

Six bolt will fit a eight bolt flange.

watch the flywheel tooth count as you need the correct Bendix on the starter to match...it was 56 when they went to 12 volt and some say the tooth count was not till 57..so what ever the case may be...now is the time to ensure you got what you need before you lock a starter to the ring gear.  

Pairing the 218 starter & bell housing with the 230 flywheel may require machining of the

bell housing. As I recall I had to have about 3/8" shaved off for the starter to engage 

properly. Measure the distance between starter teeth  & flywheel on the 218 then place the 218

bell housing & starter on the 230 & take the measurement again. Pretty sure Don Coatney has

photos of this procedure on this forum. Good luck, imho it's worth the effort.

okay ,i was under the impression  that  it was  the crank flange difference   between the 218 -230  , i though that if you used the 230 flywheel it corrected the spacing problem.and the bell from 218 was use able  with out starter ,interference 

16 hours ago, plymjim said:

Pairing the 218 starter & bell housing with the 230 flywheel may require machining of the

bell housing. As I recall I had to have about 3/8" shaved off for the starter to engage 

properly. Measure the distance between starter teeth  & flywheel on the 218 then place the 218

bell housing & starter on the 230 & take the measurement again. Pretty sure Don Coatney has

photos of this procedure on this forum. Good luck, imho it's worth the effort.

1 hour ago, dr47 said:

okay ,i was under the impression  that  it was  the crank flange difference   between the 218 -230  , i though that if you used the 230 flywheel it corrected the spacing problem.and the bell from 218 was use able  with out starter ,interference 

Correct on the crank flange being the issue. The flywheels should not be mixed due to a 0.185" difference in crank flange projection. The flywheel was modified so that the bellhousings will swap. As to clutch, it does not care what flywheel it is bolted to.....

The 146 tooth wheel was used on everything into the 56 model and the 172 appeared in 57. The are plenty of L6 that kept the 146 until 60 so check application. Also, keep in mind that all L6 and v8 used the same crank flange design until 60 (last year for pass car L6) and 61 (last year for v8, big changes in 62). Plenty of B&RB truck engines with 6-bolt wheels that fit the flange.