The men that saved the world...........

Frank Elder

75 years ago today they were boys and young men, they suffered through the gangster era of the 20s, the depression era of the 30s.......and were asked to step up one more time to rid the world of tyranny in the 40s and 50s.

Hitler, Stalin, Musollini, Franco, Tojo and somewhat later Mao......what a collection of A$$holes the the world had to deal with...the Last of the Dictators bent on world domination. The Greatest generation is now down to its last few Veterans and in the next 10 years it is likely they will all be gone.

So if you know a WWII vet, give him or her a hug or call or drop a letter letting them know how much they mean to us.....Most of them will mumble their thanks and proclaim that they did nothing special, anyone could have done it they will say [don't you believe it] then with a teary eye or a steely gaze they will tell you they are not heroes, only the men who sacrificed their lives can claim that distinction.

Thank you for reading this.

• Like 8

I recently read that the vast majority of those killed on the beaches on D-day were under 20 years old. Hard to think of those old men we say today as having once been a teenager storming the beaches under withering gun-fire. Greatest Generation indeed. We all owe them our way of life today. ?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My father was in the 7th Cavalry stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas prior to being deployed to the Philippines in World War II.  They patrolled the Mexican border on horseback before shipping out.  The horses were retired and the soldiers were split between mechanized Cav and foot soldiers.  

At the same age, on the other hand, I was painting apartments for $3.25 an hour and enjoying my first taste of freedom waiting to start college.  Life was good for me because of him and his generation.   

6985c57f6ab5c5cb8be50a991cdd5f6f (1) - Copy.jpg

• Like 2