Chrysler industrial 230

dr47

what is the main  deference between a chrysler industrial 230 and a dodge 230? the chrysler is rated at 72 hp.at 2800 rpm that seems low .are parts interchangeable between the industrial and the dodge engine ,is there a way to raise hp on the industrial engine .thanks 

That hp rating is sort of misleading as it is taken at 2800 rpm for that industrial application.  Simply raising the rpm would undoubtedly raise the rating to near auto levels.  Camshaft, distributor, and compression are the items most often changed for stationary use.   They are tailored to fit the intended use, speed and fuel.  I have been into a couple of forklift/tug 230s and noted no differences from the automotive models, other than the vacuum advance deletion and governor under the carb.

so if i  put a distributor  with vacuum advance , and  have the head milled a little , or is it the difference in head gasket thickness , put my dual carb set up on it .and headers ,do you think it would  be up to automobile  standards, where are the numbers located on the camshaft   end of shaft or internally . if i have to change cam is there any performance cam out there .thank you 

DR47..........finding 230's here in Oz was difficult as most mopar sixes were the ex Canadian/DeSoto/Chrysler 25" versions and to make life simpler re the registration department here in Oz I wanted to find a 230 to install in the 1941 Plymouth.......I came up with an ex Sydney airport tug engine that had been pulled apart by a guy intending to install it in a boat but decided to sell it............it came complete but disassembled and was to be the basis of my hopped up Plymouth engine, note the Industrial tag still on the block beside the fuel pump.............I obtained an Edgy Head, Offy twin carb intake, had the split exhaust made from a pair of Plymouth exhaust manifolds, and had a 1/2 race cam ground by local cam grinders, Waggotts, I was also going to use the Holden water pump adaptor as shown in this pic............I also had installed one of Tom Langdons HEI dissys and also the Beehive Oil Filter as shown on the original engine.........from what I had found the basic internal parts of the industrial engines were the same as the automotive versions and for me the fact that the industrial engine didn't have an engine number was an extra blessing as there was a strong possibility that the original Plymouth engine number "may" have found its way onto the 230, tho' I'll deny having said that...........lol..............unfortunately I sold the car and engine prior to the swap......sometimes we do stupid things............lol..........regards from Oz...............Andy Douglas       

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

Andy ,Thanks for  the reply ,i did just buy the 230 industrial , that's what  i wanted to know, was about the internal of the engine, i have a extra cam if i can find someone in my area that can regrind the cam  i;m going to get this done  if not i will  put the dual carb set up and headers  and run it that way. ,as far dizzy goes i have  the one from my old engine ,i would like to convert to hei,at some point  i also want to have head milled for better compression ,thanks again 

DR.....the installation of the Langdon HEI was the best thing I did, the car was already 12 volts when I bought it, an older "restoration" that needed quite a few things tidied up, got it registered and while it always started evenually it was not very reliable........after installing the HEI I could lean in thru the open drivers window, turn the key(it had an Oz Holden key start switch) and it would start almost instantaneously.........ran better, just a great improvement.........andyd