Rebuilders tags

greg g

Does any one have any information regarding interpreting the model codes on Chrysler more Chrysler Method liscenced rebuilders?  There was a brass tag on the engine I pulled from my 46 that stated for replacement parts specify model B.  So what did model B signify???  One could assume a model A was rebuilt to stock sizes and specs, did a Model B suggest a one standard size cylinder overbore, and a model C was overbore and crank turned?  Enquiring minds want to know when out hunting the elusive Mopar power plant.

Edited by greg g
Typo

somewhere I have a book which lists rebuilt engine specs.  Engines were grouped by what the rebuilt was intended to fit . This did not necessarily reflect the engine's original engineering code which was stamped along with the engine number.  Most tags I have seen  gave the bore OS and the main and rod US .  These, if standard, were marked std. 

I do not have time to search this out for you today but will follow your thread.

Independent rebuilders had a number of codes .   The only reliable way to determine what any particular engine may be at this late date is to tear it down and measure everything.

I had a similar question put to me by a man down the street that got a Ford 300 L6 with a builders tag.  Even visiting the website for the rebuilder drew a blank.  I suggested that he call the company itself for further information. (no follow up by him so would guess he  did not call)  This tag and others I have seen do not in my memory of looking at them follow any certain set of codes.  Each builder probably has their own format in stating the specs where A is std and possibily B is next base value .010 over/uinder and down the alphabet on standard parts available.  The rods and mains will be stamped on the shell denoting their undersize, the crank itself should be stamped with its undercut on a larger flyweight both main and rod..lifters, they may need be checked.  I also am interested in any data Bob should be able to provide from his code book if but to hopefully be of help to someone else in the future.  I am certain the book would be an interesting read.  Bob has lots of knowledge and resources at his disposal.  

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 2 weeks later...

Bob is actually Dave.   Strangely enough that confusion has followed me all my life.