Carburetor Issues?

Looking for some help.

I recently got my hands on a 51 B3B. She starts right up and idles fine, however hesitates if you push the throttle fast. 

Took the carb off, cleaned, new plugs, no timing issues so I am stumped. My next guess would be a vacuum leak but can’t seem to find any.

Am I missing anything blatantly obvious? If you slowly press the throttle it’s fine, but the second you give it gas, she wants to shut off.

any help is much appreciated.

Check the step up piston too for free up/ down movement.

• Like 1

Yup, sounds like your accelerator pump needs to be replaced. It's a very simple job and you might not even need to buy a new one if you soak the old one in some oil over night. 

That might fatten the leather plunger back up so it'll squirt when it's depressed.

• Like 2

The accelerator pump jet orifice can get plugged up too.You need to check that it is clear of debris.

A strand of copper wire will do.

Carter B&B ID Description of Internal Parts EV1.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

I rebuilt a couple ball & ball carbs and they worked but probably not as well as sixty years ago. 

I ended up getting a repop weber from the stovebolt website. It had 12v electric choke and needed very little adjustment to make my 230 run like new. It started instantly and had great manners. 

I liked it so much any time somebody posts on here with familiar carb complaints I sound like an advertisement haha.

I hope your pump rebuild goes well but if not...