1933 dodge axle removal - help needed

sactownog

Good morning everyone, 

I have the rear end out of my 33 dodge. It leaks on both ends and the center, I do not think the rear end has to be fully rebuilt as it spin's smooth. 

however it does need new gaskets to stop the leaks. 

any tips on if I should just bite the bullet and rebuild it, or just take it apart, put new gaskets on and reinstall?

To the best of my knowledge, the '33 Dodge shares these parts with the '33 Plymouth though you should check the original part numbers to verify that.

There are two seals on each side: A thick felt washer type inner seal that is supposed to keep the oil from the diff and the grease on the bearings separate. To the best of my knowledge this is no longer available. There is an outer grease seal assembly that is only available in old stock (if you can find it). However you can have a modern seal installed in the old carrier, see https://www.ply33.com/Repair/axle_seal/

The pinion seal is still available from places like NAPA: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOS17675 You might need to install a speedi-sleeve on the pinion flange shaft but you won't know that until you pull things apart and see what the condition is.

You can replace the outer axle seals and the drive pinion seal without fully disassembling the rear end. To replace the inner axle seals you will need to pull the axles. The only way I figured out how to measure and check the differential involved pulling it out of the axle housing but maybe others have figured out how to do that. For what it is worth, the wear pattern on my differential looked good and the backlash was still within factory tolerances so I left it alone. I did replace the axle bearings at that time as long as the axle shafts were out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TodFitch said:

To the best of my knowledge, the '33 Dodge shares these parts with the '33 Plymouth though you should check the original part numbers to verify that.

There are two seals on each side: A thick felt washer type inner seal that is supposed to keep the oil from the diff and the grease on the bearings separate. To the best of my knowledge this is no longer available. There is an outer grease seal assembly that is only available in old stock (if you can find it). However you can have a modern seal installed in the old carrier, see https://www.ply33.com/Repair/axle_seal/

The pinion seal is still available from places like NAPA: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOS17675 You might need to install a speedi-sleeve on the pinion flange shaft but you won't know that until you pull things apart and see what the condition is.

You can replace the outer axle seals and the drive pinion seal without fully disassembling the rear end. To replace the inner axle seals you will need to pull the axles. The only way I figured out how to measure and check the differential involved pulling it out of the axle housing but maybe others have figured out how to do that. For what it is worth, the wear pattern on my differential looked good and the backlash was still within factory tolerances so I left it alone. I did replace the axle bearings at that time as long as the axle shafts were out.

extremely helpful, THANK YOU!