Request: Anyone with a 1954 Chrysler Parts Book?

James_Douglas

Hi All,

Anyone with a 1954 Chrysler Parts book?  I would like to ask if you can take a good photo of the page that shows, if it does, the base of the steering column with the "gate plate" that is used for the "new" Powerflite Automatic transmission.

This is the part at the bottom of the steering column that the linkage goes to the transmission. Either what the lever arm (plate) looks like and or if they have a view showing the entire linkage. 

Thanks, James.

PS. I am looking into using a 2 speed powerflite with a gear vendors overdrive as opposed to a 200R or 700R or the 4L60E.  An old acquaintance who is 80+ used to work in engineering at Chrysler and he suggested I take a good look at this combination for a whole host of reasons that make good sense. His basic issue is the valve body and the governor weights of the 1954 unit with a six are optimized to the torque curve of the six that would take a long time to nail down if using a 200R or 700R. He said that yes one can do it with the 4L60E, but at a lot of cost. The Gear Vendors OD uses a pressurized pack so that once it shifts there is no parasitic drag. This is an interesting combination. I need to see what the linkage looks like to see what it would entail.

I have a ‘53/54 book. It has PF options. I am unsure what the Gate-Plate is you speak of. Do you have any real life pics to share? Maybe then I can find what you need in my parts book. 

Edited by keithb7

Thanks folks, I went through my friends master parts book and it does not show it either...

I am trying to find a photo.  The gate plate is the thing that goes on the end of the steering column (I think) that allows the column shifter to go from neutral to reverse or drive.

I am looking very seriously at just using a Powerflite and a Gear Vendors overdrive in the big Desoto as opposed to a GM modern trans....

James the parts book I have covers 1953/54 Chrysler models C56, C60, C59, C58, C62, C63, C64, C66.  Additionally a bunch of Plymouths, Dodges and Desotos. There are several steering columns listed here are a couple with shift levers on the steering columns. 

7EEFC3E3-C5B2-452D-85B0-3BF3D689E760.jpeg

D08271DD-2644-406D-9737-FC7AF0EA8E62.jpeg

6E04E5AC-5B20-454A-9E9E-A890E52B6CD5.jpeg

Lost cause....

• Like 1