Factory Power Steering?

I know that there are many posts asking about how to add power steering to our old trucks. I have been thinking about the electric option since I have one on my sand rail and it works well. But I have done more digging looking for other options. Why has nobody mentioned the factory power steering setup? It looks very similar to the Ford and GM styles with the control valve attached to the pitman arm. My thought was get the control valve from one of those which are fairly common and attach it to the pitman arm and then cut and thread the drag link so it would go into the end of the control valve. Then get the slave cylinder and fit it to the tie rod.

Was this system horrible or just very rare and there are no parts made for it? 

cv3.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik

Those posted are for a Ford or GM vehicle. They are very similar. I will have to scan the page out of the manual for the factory setup. It is similar but I have never seen one. I am thinking this could work with a bit of fab. 

Edited by 59bisquik

Those worked well back in the day.  Your plan shouldn't be too hard to execute.  Matching a cylinder would be a challenge, got to get the diameter right to get the boost 'feel' ok and the stroke length, so it would give full travel and not bottom out.

My plan, if I ever get to it, is to use a power steering unit from an early solid front axle 4wd pickup.  They mount very similar to my '56 Dodge.  I

I have one on the shelf along with a spare, good condition original box in case I change my mind.

My reason for selecting a box change is primarily to get rid of that solid steel spear pointing at my chest.  I'll be substituting a collapsible column,  GM as wiring for them is available everywhere.  Also have one of those from a floor shift car on the shelf.

The biggest issue with the Toy, will be adapting the pitman arm to get full range of motion and steering feel. 

The cylinder seems like the easy part. Coming from the offroad world, hydraulic cylinders for steering assist are fairly common. I think the hard part will be the control valve. Finding the right size tapered shaft for the pitman and a close enough thread on the end to mate up to the drag link.

• Like 1