Brakes

garyp

Took the 39 out for a ride yesterday the longest so far and when I got home my brake pedal was up as far as it would go and the brakes were on and just got the car in the garage before they were on fully and the brake lights were on and had to disconnect the battery. I am going to bleed the brakes to relieve the pressure or should I look elsewhere for the problem.  Thanks Gary 

There are n the bottom of the mc fluid reservoir two holes, one to allow brake fluid to fill the mc piston and one to release pressure when you release the brakes.  The smaller of the two is the release.  Get in there with a bit of machanics wire or paperclip straightened out and clean out the relief port.  This happens pretty often with this type of brake system. Bleeding will relieve the pressure, but unless you clear that port it will keep happening.  

Then check that you have an inch to inch and a half Freeplay in the pedal linkage before the piston starts to engage.  Don't over filling the reservoir, and assure the cap vents are clear.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

What could be my problem is when I got the car it had an extension on the master cylinder fill cap that comes up by the steering column to make it easier to fill should I take that off and use the correct fill cap I am thinking yes.  Gary

Were you in the master cylinder recently? Wondering on the correct placement of parts. I know I had learn from a mistake I made.  How old are the brake flex hoses?

Edited by keithb7

I rebuilt the master cylinder when putting the car back together so hardly any use on it and the flex lines I will have to check I don't remember but if they loooked bad I probably changed them I will let you know. I am going to try and dig into it tomorrow when I get back from the Doc's. 

Notice this image from an original Chrysler Manual. Look at the valve. Far left end of Master Cylinder.

zMDCfsrc5OyoW3RGSKzxaY0hoFvRi2mIEwuIgVdE

Next, notice this image from a Motors Manual, for the same car. Look at the same valve.  Notice this one illustrates  a seat.

cfD5XPq-PyVxBYQ2J43cCESosa0pExlzszDB6m7c

Did your MC rebuild kit come with this seat? If so, where did it end up up inside the MC?

Edited by keithb7
  • Thanks 1

OK I took the top of the master cylinder off and took the fluid out and cleaned it out real good and blew it out with my air hose and cleaned the 2 small holes out put new fluid in and it works good. I think the problem was the extension they put on got rusty and got in the fluid thus clogging the return I did not replace the extension just put a new plug in and will keep my eye on the pedal and if I see it getting closer to the top I will know there is a problem. Thank you guys for the help I did not want to take that MC off again it is a real bitch to get to.  Gary 

• Like 1