Hydraulic parking brake option

40desoto

Hello was wondering if anyone has installed a hydraulic parking brake, also referred to as line lock..

Im installing a 1972 Satellite differential that originally came with the mechanical parking brake cables.  After much research, its seemed easier and more convenient to simply install a line lock or a hydraulic parking brake mechanism instead of attempting to install a mechanical cable parking brake system.

I did some research and liked the idea of pressing the brake down and "locking" the hydraulic pressure to engage the brakes.  I dont plan on using this system for long term sittings but just for parking no more that 1 day at a time. 

If anyone has some insight on this and wouldn't mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it.

I've used a company called E-Stopp that has an electric parking brake actuator that utilizes your existing park brake cables / hardware...  I would not call a line-loc a park brake, should be mechanical.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/E-Stopp-ESK001-Electric-Emergency-Brake-Kit,65217.html?sku=142100&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuLPnBRDjARIsACDzGL3_NO5XS2iWrrlKZ8PJmNqCwwfk-dJyL2iCoMTXSdYbEKWZHR6jNKMaAgcxEALw_wcB

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30

1 hour ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

I've used a company called E-Stopp that has an electric parking brake actuator that utilizes your existing park brake cables / hardware...  I would not call a line-loc a park brake, should be mechanical.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/E-Stopp-ESK001-Electric-Emergency-Brake-Kit,65217.html?sku=142100&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuLPnBRDjARIsACDzGL3_NO5XS2iWrrlKZ8PJmNqCwwfk-dJyL2iCoMTXSdYbEKWZHR6jNKMaAgcxEALw_wcB

Adam

Thank you Adam.  The reason I, straying away from this option is because I do not have the cabling/hardware nor a diagram as to how to do it.  If I had all the cabling and hardware figured out, I would simply go my  a less expensive manual mechanical lever to apply the e brake.

Is the electric emergency brake system you referenced used a parking brake or an emergency secondary brake system.

There was a optional "MoPar" accessory electric line lock or "temporary" parking brake offered in late 1949 or 50...

I have one on my 52 Dodge PU. It works fine for temporarily locking up the brakes.

It is not to be used for parking a vehicle though as the brakes could bleed off after time.

They were mainly used for door to door delivery in the Route Vans and trucks with accessory installed equipment that required the wheels being locked up.... like a winch etc.

Factory MoPar   Accessory  Temporary  Parking Brake Switch.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

as Dodge B4ya says, line locks are not  intended to be parking brakes.  The option offered in 49-50 was called a hill-holder which kept the rear brakes on until you drove away making it easier to start off on hills.   By law, a parking brake must be mechanical.  They are easily understood.

MoPar also did offer the different  "AutoStop" Hill Holder option too...1953 or 1954

Turn it on with a switch on the shifter... drive the car... stop with the brake pushed down on a hill...the brakes are now  locked up.

The  traffic light turns green.... step on the gas while letting the clutch out... brakes are automatically released.

I put one on my 52 Belvedere back in the early 70's.

A nice usable option.

MoPar AutoStop.JPG

I just installed a brand new set of parking brake cables on my 1948 Plymouth P15. I purchased everything from Lokar lumped into two basic "kits" - Lokar offered a "front kit" that specifically attached to the factory P15 parking brake (I have no idea how similar or dissimilar that setup is from your Desoto) and they had a "rear kit" that works with my Dodge Charger rear axle. It made setting it up and using it very straight forward. I had a minor hiccup with the clevis at the parking brake handle, but it was so minor, I've already forgotten what wasn't quite right or my solution for it.... lol

My point being - its worth looking at the Lokar mechanical stuff - even if they don't have the exact setup you need for your parking brake handle, I'm sure they have something that can be made to work quickly and easily. They also are really good about posting the instructions for their kits online so you can read them and know what you are getting into before purchase.

simple fix here, you are installing the 1972 rear gear that has e-brake hardware and cables already in place....just connect it to your original engaging lever assembly....personally I would update the 1972 axle to use the simple compound cables of the 1997-up Dakota single cable pull/connection as you have no cross over dual cable to contend with and the cable runs along the drivers frame rail.  You WILL NEED the bracket on the frame of the Dakota to transfer to your car, the compound cable cannot lock with this piece missing.

100_1456.JPG

100_1457.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I will try to attach a PDF of the file I used to put in the parking brake on my 1949 Desoto. I converted the read to disc and used the Cadillac rear caliper with the mechanincal parking brakes in them. I took the one off the rear of the trans.

The company I used to get the parts is in there and a couple of key measurements of what is needed at the parking brake handle. Your cable lengths will be different with a different car, but I think the bolts in the handle are the same for most of these years.

James

PS. Excuse the crappy welds. My long time welder and friend who died of MD a couple of years back wanted to do this weld as he had a couple of years earlier done all the serious welding on this car. By this time his health was real bad but I did not have the heart to tell him no that I would have someone else do it.

I will never grind and over weld these as they are structurally sound, just look like crap. His previous work for 20 years was a work of art!

p_00108.jpg

E_barke_Cables.pdf

Edited by James_Douglas

40 DeSoto, I think you have your answer and some sound advice.  Mechanical cables is not a big job.  I also have the Lokar solution in my 48 Plymouth with later model Mopar rearend and using the stock handle in the interior, .... easy and pretty elegant solution.

I live in Orange County.  Why not drive down from West Covina and check it out.

PM or email me and I'll give you a phone #