Steering Wheel Puller HELP

CO54

Been spraying steering wheel splines for a week, been trying everything I can to get it off, here it sits now, and still not budging.  I know we had to do some redneck engineering, but I don't have Dodge tool # C-232 as outlined in the manual.......  Does anyone have any suggestions or a known good puller I could borrow???  Really trying to get the cab off this weekend, so the frame work can start and all can move forward. 

20190526_120242.jpg

Have you left the nut on the threaded shaft backed off until it is even with the outer end? If not do that.

Also a second tie strap around the lower side in your photo to hold your wood block solidly and squared evenly with the bottom of the steer wheel so that it pulls  straight  upward. It appears that now all the pressure is only on one side.

Tighten the puller very tight. Give the top of the puller shaft a Good tap with a 2 lb. hammer. Maybe more?

Is that a pine? wood block? It may not be strong enough type of wood to do the job?

Just some thoughts to try.

DJ

12 hours ago, kencombs said:

If the hub is tapped for puller bolts, just go buy a cheap puller.  Probably less than 10 bucks.  Pullers like the one shown in the  pic are a good way to ruin a wheel.

I second this. Proper tool for the job helps. Also, I have had a buddy help by pulling on the outer part of the wheel (two hands opposite each other) as I tap on the end of the shaft, with the nut level with the end to avoid damaging threads. You need good pressure pulling the wheel but not so much that it bends.  With the pulling on the wheel and the tapping on the shaft, this is often enough to encourage the wheel to come off. I did this on my '38 Chrysler which was not tapped to take a steering wheel puller. Just be cautious with everything you do. You don't want to ruin a good steering wheel.

Edited by RobertKB

These steering wheels can be very hard to remove. Solid steel to steel is the least frustrating way to remove these wheels.

If you have to rent some tools...another way to pull the wheel easily...

Use good tools pull it off straight..quick and easy.

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (7).JPG

• Like 3

A Military truck steering wheel puller is probably the best designed one for pulling steering wheels such as this. They are worth every penny. Hard to find, but they are out there on E- bay etc. You won’t ruin your steering wheel using this type puller. 

dang CO54, sorry I am no help....I would have done it the way you show (cause I am redneck that way :)) and tapped the wood with a mallet as I tighten down on the puller.. or pull the floor boards and remove the whole steering box and do my cab work and come back to the wheel later .

you'll get it, be patient .... Good luck

54 minutes ago, Dozerman51 said:

A Military truck steering wheel puller is probably the best designed one for pulling steering wheels such as this. They are worth every penny. Hard to find, but they are out there on E- bay etc. You won’t ruin your steering wheel using this type puller. 

Like This...

Steering Wheel Removal B3YA (6) (Large).JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input, it was a 2x4 that I drilled a 1 1/2" hole in, then ripped down the center.  We screwed them together and rented a 7 ton 3 jaw puller that kept slipping off the wood, even when tried as a 2 point puller.  Went the redneck way in effort to get it off.  Finally hit a wall and said screw it, till I find a suitable puller.  We pushed the whole column up into the cab, strapped it up, and pulled the body yesterday afternoon.  Just got back from a day of fishing with the family.  

Frame is back on jack stands in the garage. 

20190526_152717.jpg

Edited by CO54

6 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

These steering wheels can be very hard to remove. Solid steel to steel is the least frustrating way to remove these wheels.

Is it possible to borrow this bad boy??  

PM me. 

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I dunno, trying to figure out just how much over kill this puller is ... I just cant imagine needing this puller in my tool box, and using it twice.

I guess it is cool if you like to show off tools, I would never buy such a tool for a single purpose.

I would much rather figure out how to pull the steering wheel without such frivolous tools.

22 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Since your wheel has no holes for a puller, you can use a bearing splitter like the one pictured with a 'normal' steering wheel puller.  The splitter has holes tapped for the puller bolts, at least that one and mine have them..  It's not necessary to have a two jaw type puller to use the splitter.  And the splitter is useful for a lot of pulling/pressing jobs, not just steering wheels.

Edited by kencombs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kencombs said:

Since your wheel has no holes for a puller, you can use a bearing splitter like the one pictured with a 'normal' steering wheel puller.  The splitter has holes tapped for the puller bolts, at least that one and mine have them..  It's not necessary to have a two jaw type puller to use the splitter.  And the splitter is useful for a lot of pulling/pressing jobs, not just steering wheels.

Perfect, I thought that was a fabricated tool, I didn't even think of a bearing splitter.

I made my own with plywood screwed together and ready rod and has worked every time I used it, including at a yard.  The HAMMER is the key.

So of course be careful but my ox/a torch gets used soo much now that I made a rolling cart for it. I like it because I can quickly get a LOT of heat in a very small area with a small tip on it. 

I’m also the guy that would wave a stuck pickle jar lid over my gas range in the kitchen a couple times like how you can wave a finger through a candle flame instead of waiting for the water to get hot out of the faucet. You can’t tell some people to do that they will get burnt, crack the pickle jar, slip on the brine, get impaled on the shards, and sue the gas company. I think you could make it work. if you have ox/a or even a little mapp setup I bet it would tap right off. Or even put some tension on it with your puller and warm it up some. 

Good luck!

I'll be keeping all the suggestions in mind, when I pull the body back out from temporary storage.  Working on frame and driveline stuff first, then the body work will begin.