Clutch Chatter

Cold Blue

My 48 Plymouth has clutch chatter. It has the original 218 six and 3 speed manuaI on the column. I do not think it is related to disc oil contamination, although it may be. Nor do I think it is due to disc overheating. I do have a small tranny leak at the front. I am suspecting that the rear engine mounts have gone south. Has anyone had clutch chatter problems due to the rear motor mounts being in poor condition? My car has a late model Chevy chunk and a replacement drive shaft. It runs super smooth at speed. Only when pulling out in first gear do I experience the clutch chatter. The clutch disc is a replacement remanufactured disc.

I am thinking that the only way I can cure this is to remove the tranny, clutch, and pressure plate. Get the disc relined, have the pressure plate resurfaced, install all new tranny gaskets, and new throw-out bearing. And replace the rear motor mounts.

Am I going down the right path? Any replies from anyone who has had this problem would be so appreciated.

I've only had clutch chatter problems with one of my newer cars years ago - but - your described fix, except for the gaskets and motor mounts, is exactly what I had to do to fix it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2019 at 12:45 AM, plymouthcranbrook said:

I had a bad pressure plate on my 52. After changing the full  clutch the problem went away.  And I did not resurface the flywheel. It was smooth and clean.

+1, changed the set on my '38 I think the springs get weak on some of the pressure plates after 70 years.

• Like 1