Differences

woodrow

I want to comment on a few differences in P15 years that became really obvious to me over the past few days. My 48 P15 4 door had painted bumpers on both front and rear when I got it and ever since I have been looking for a set of chrome ones. So for a while now I have been in talks with a guy who has a 50 Plymouth which he is sort of ratting/rodding and pretty well painting everything as such.  So I ended up purchasing the front chassis and all components as well as the rear end from him. Parts are hard to come by here for a 71 year old car so it is a win to get some rebuildable parts. We ended up trading bumpers with me getting his half decent chrome ones and him getting my decent painted ones. Well when I tried to bolt up the frame of the front bumper to the chassis I discovered there is a good 3 inches or more in the difference with my 48 being wider. I would not have thought there would be a difference in the chassis width at all where both of the cars are only separated by 2 manufacturing years. Upon closer scrutinizing I realized that while both vehicles look similar they are in fact incredibly different. I did make the front bumper fit and will probably do the same with the rear but it sort of begs the question of whether or not the other components that I purchased from this guy will even be any good to my car. And for the record the owner of the other car was as clueless to these differences as I was. In fact he pretty well gave me a load of stuff above what I purchased, things that he didnt need for his build with a promise to give me whatever else he does not use. In fact Im sending him a link to this site so he can join as I have been pretty much raving about the awsomeness of bei g a member here and all that the site has to offer.

Oh and also, the 50 bumper is of a different profile than the 48.

20190520_191002-2016x1512.jpg

• Like 1

You are comparing apples to oranges, or as my mother said right church, wrong pew.  The P15 series frame is very different from the 49-52 follow on models.  The basic frame i

4 1/2 inches longer and 5 inches wider at the rear and 3 1/2 inches wider at the front many of the mounting points are quite different also but major front steering and suspension components should interchange.

1 hour ago, greg g said:

You are comparing apples to oranges, or as my mother said right church, wrong pew.  The P15 series frame is very different from the 49-52 follow on models.  The basic frame i

4 1/2 inches longer and 5 inches wider at the rear and 3 1/2 inches wider at the front many of the mounting points are quite different also but major front steering and suspension components should interchange.

Yep, access to an old Hollander manual is great asset.  It's amazing what does interchange, but major design changes occurred regularly on bodies, not so much on mechanicals.

There are perhaps a few mechanical parts for the engine that may switch as those items are very similar.  Most body and trim parts will not swap.  

Look at pictures of the two vehicles side by side........

Edited by BobT-47P15