Nostalgia or what

Doug&Deb

Most of the time a car is coming your way and you develop love relationship with it. In my case, however, I knew what I wanted before starting search. I have particular affection for '37 body style. Previous years' cars were too boxy, and following years flattening tendency started, culminating in 60s-70s styles that I particularly dislike. From engineering standpoint, Mopar was superior to GMC and Ford. Of all Mopars, Plymouth was made in highest numbers, which is helpful for parts availability. 4 door cars were decidedly uncool, so I wanted 2 door. I also preferred sedan to coupe, as I like to travel in a good company. I would prefer a fastback sedan with no luggage hump, but, unfortunately, those are rare.

Been into P23's my whole life.  My father had a '52 Cambridge that he bought new and that brought me home from the hospital.  Lots of good memories associated with that car.  I have one just like it, only about 1200 VIN's away from the original one.  I also have a '51 business coupe that's just like one owned by a local business when I was very young.  Now if I could only get them roadworthy.....

I attended vintage car show in Vegas a few years ago. I felt the time was right to get into the vintage car scene. I’ve always loved old cars. My kids were now grown up. It was time to start looking.

Originally I wanted post-WW2 type. I like the design. I found a really clean 1953 Chrysler. Lots of chrome. Good price! I bit, and went for it.  I’ve been really enjoying it. The whole plan worked out well. As you can see, I did not have a certain car in mind. I was attracted to its looks, price and nostalgia I guess. 

With one car being so fun, only way to have more fun is two cars. Right? I have been looking at other vintage car options for probably the past 6-8 months. Several options caught my  attention. They never worked out for various reasons. Then, another Mopar struck me. Everything felt right and the deal fell together nicely.  Pre WW2 this time. It seemed like the right fit for me. I bought it. So that’s two old cars in a row for me with no real significance. I have no idea if my Grandparents had one of either car or not.

The way I see it....These cars will be of considerable significance to my sons or potential further offspring! If I’m lucky. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

My first set of wheels was home made by me in 1959 when I was 11.  Then when I was 16 I spotted this car in a field and the shape still appealed to me.

my coaster at 11.jpg

Myfirstcarin6633Ply-1.jpg

Edited by Reg Evans
  • Like 1

My first "old car was a 54 Ford Customline 4 door I bought in '09. It was six with an automatic. Nice car but a lot of floor cancer. While riding to breakfast in my buddy's '48 P-15 coupe (2014 Daytona Turkey Run), I thought while looking through the split windshield that I had to have on. So I sold the Ford and bought my '49 Coroner 4 door the next spring. No regrets, the flathead has more pep than the 223 in. Ford six.

I grew up working on my uncle’s farm every summer, where my older cousin got me into old cars, much to my parent’s chagrin.  My cousin had a 1940 Plymouth Road King which he gave to me, but because of a lack of funds (I was seventeen at the time), I, in turn gave the car to another cousin, vowing to have another one some day.  Well, fast forward about fifty years, several sports cars, motorcycles and old cars, family cars and vans, I was finally able to purchase about five years ago, another Plymouth - this time, a 1950 Deluxe, that I bought from a friend of my brother’s.  The car is a survivor, mostly original (which is how I intend to keep it) with 41000 miles on the odometer.  All it needed were new brakes and new tires and since buying the car, I have also had the water pump rebuilt and replaced the thermostat.  I really like this car and enjoy driving it whenever weather permits.